BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 167
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Transducer Kicking Up  (Read 15898 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Transducer Kicking Up
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
I have a 798 CI HD SI that I run at my console. My transducer is mounted on the transom.

I have noticed over the last couple of seasons that I'm having increasing trouble with the transducer kicking up when I put the boat on plane. This is obviously due to the drag it creates when the boat is running on plane.

I know I could move the transducer up so it would have less drag when running, but then it fails to read at speed. So I am guessing that I either need to add a second transducer for high speed, which I hope won't also kick up on plane, or run a second unit for speed.

I still have the old Garmin unit that came with the boat. I never had a single problem with that unit reading on plane. So I'm thinking it might be a good idea to reinstall that unit as my speed unit and use the bird only for fishing.

Suggestions or thoughts?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Transducer Kicking Up
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
I would think the best way to get readings at moderate speeds would be a thru-hull type.

When I had one mounted on my Dads aluminium it was a transom mount also, and I had it mounted about 1/16" below the edge of the boat and it would work somewhat at speeds.
So if your way down in the water just try raising it up a bit.

2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
1/16 below as mentioned but trailing edge just slightly lower    check for a smooth transition on the hull in the path of the ducer. any dents dings will cause air bubbles
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »
This transducer is mounted in the same exact location as the previous one. The old one read flawlessly at top speed, so I know the location is good. But I will take a look at the bottom to see if there are new dents or dings along that area.

I wish I could shoot through the hull, but I don't know how viable that is with a tin boat. It isn't riveted, so there isn't the problem of turbulence from rivets, but I don't know how effective a through hull mount would be or if it's even worth considering.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
By the way, a buddy of mine is going to give me a different transducer that I can use when running at speeds and then use my current transducer while fishing. I just need to buy a Y cable so I can connect both transducers at the same time.

I'm not familiar with this kind of setup, so I will sort it out and post updates here when/if I get it setup that way.

Offline The dude

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
When I talked to lowrance about mine they said i could epoxy it in my hull (on a glass boat). But down scan would not work properly. The chirp would be fine though. Thats why i kept the old x45 so i had depth while running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »
. I just need to buy a Y cable so I can connect both transducers at the same time.

I believe you're gonna need a switch box to use 2 ducers on the same unit 
I've never had good results shooting thru an aluminum hull. I've tried a few now that customers just had to have even after suggesting it wouldn't work.
make sure the transition from hull to transducer is smooth , no dips no gaps  nothing that can cause turbulence.  It's a pita but with some patience and a lot of trial and error you can get it to work off the transom.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »

I believe you're gonna need a switch box to use 2 ducers on the same unit 

My understanding was that using a Y cable eliminated the need for a switch box. But I need to dig a little deeper to sort that out.

I'm still wondering if maybe reinstalling the old Garmin unit to use for running might not be easier, cheaper and less aggravating to do  (hmm)

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »

I wish I could shoot through the hull, but I don't know how viable that is with a tin boat. It isn't riveted, so there isn't the problem of turbulence from rivets, but I don't know how effective a through hull mount would be or if it's even worth considering.

They do make a 'ducer that is mounted thru a hole in the bottom of the boat, I know because I have one on my cat. It's a standard sonar 'ducer that works on Lowrance for sure as mine is on a X27c and I use it just for that - depth at speed, since my SI 'ducer is on the JP and is out of the water completely when running.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline ranger361v

• Premium Member
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
Hey Curt.
Check out this place!
https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/product-category/shields/humminbird/
Check through the menu to get what you might want.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:51 PM »
Hey Curt.
Check out this place!
https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/product-category/shields/humminbird/
Check through the menu to get what you might want.

@ranger361v Thanks!

BTW... glad to see you here again  :nod:

Offline ranger361v

• Premium Member
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »
Yep got to missin ya'all.   :nod:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
I highly recommend the Transducer Shield and Savers.  I have them on all of mine.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Well, after procrastinating for a whole year (  (fp) ), I finally took the time to take the boat apart enough so I could mount the smaller transducer on the transom and move the SI/DI transducer.

I had to fish the cable through my boat, from the transom to the console. I tried doing it without using a fish tape/snake, but it was a no-go. OSo I ran to Home Depot and picked up a cheap residential model for $10. Still took 5 or 6 tries to get it through to where it needed to be, but once that was done, the hard part was behind me.

I mounted the transducer on the transom in the same exact spot where the previous two transducers were mounted and adjusted it so the bottom of the transducer would sit a little less than 1/8 of an inch below the hull, with the hopes that it would be deep enough to still read at WOT but not deep enough to create significant drag while running at WOT.

I got everything put back together late Friday, in time for my tourney on Saturday morning.

When we blasted off on Saturday morning, I ran wide open to my first area, which was a little less than a mile. There was a mild chop on the surface. My unit held onto the bottom depth, although the actual image of the bottom did break up a bit a few times. Later on I ran again with less chop and it maintained the image and the bottom depth almost perfectly.

I believe lowering it another 1/16 of an inch will do the trick.

Also, based on my research, there is no switch box needed to run two transducers on this unit. So I'm hoping to get the transducer Y cable in this week and get it connected, so I will be able to use the small transducer for high speed running and the large SI/DI transducer for fishing.

I will post and let everyone know how it all goes.  :nod:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal