BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Console swap out.  (Read 7512 times)

Offline RedAllison

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: 9#13oz. Mar/04, MS. Jig&pig
Console swap out.
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:12:18 PM »
I bought this lil ol Lowe (1996 Lowe 160/50hp Erude) in May 2010 for smaller waters. It's been a great lil boat but it didn't take me lbr 1-2x out in it to realize that the console was MUCH to big & wasted ALOT of space in a 16ft tin basser. Then summer before last my broham Jeffro Brazil (TheCashewKid) struck gold as he & his dad do quite a bit of boat work on the side. A customer of theirs brought in an old Duracraft tin boat that needed a few things & they wanted the entire console removed... Jeffro knew who to call next!  \o/

Pic 1: The original console. (Before anyone asks, yep that's my "fishbat" lying in the floor. I use it to "crack skulls" on trash fish in my farm lake, like bowfins, pickerel, gar etc...) I don't know why anyone at Lowe ever thought a lil ol 160 needed a console THIS big, but we took care of that.

Pic 2: Let the convert begin. Jeffro started the tear down, MAN was the wiring under there a FREAKN MESS! I guess the sam fruit loop that came up with the wheelhouse sized console, likewise thought it was a great idea to do ALL the wiring together & most of it in series! I can't say that I've EVER seen that in a boat, ESPECIALLY a cheap lil ol tin boat!  (fp)

Pic 3: ROOM TO SPARE! Look at the footprint in the carpet of the previous "tractor shed"! Luckily the console was just a screwed together collection of a molded plastic top, a large aluminum "dog box" bottom section & an aluminum crossmember under the steering wheel. The entire thing was screwed together & into the side. & floor of the hull (We cut & modified that crossmember to use as the leg/brace on the "new" console. Pic 4)

Pic 4: PRESTO! The finished product, works just as well as before & as you can see I now have MUCH more floor & usable space. (The ram mount & GPS puck are for my Hbird 997Si.)

Pic 5: We moved the tach down under the corner where it's still visible. The switchpanel for lights & pumps was removed from the old console & fitted into the new console. Jeffro reconfigured the wiring & it was all placed up under the console. We mounted the side of the console atop the gunwale & screwed it down with a few self tapping sheet metal screws.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:18:03 PM by RedAllison »
AllisonOwners.net

Offline Alan S

• Guppy
  • Mr. Doucheaux
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Console swap out.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
Great job!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
Wow! Great job guys  (yes)

And that original console was definitely way oversized for a boat that small. What were they thinking?  (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Jimmy RodandReel

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
 (y) (y)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator