Bass Boat Mods > Jackplates

G3 Jackplate Installation

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
I found a couple of used aluminum (manual) jackplates that a friend of mine has for sale really cheap. He has one that's 5 inches and one that's 6 inch. He works on boats and outboards for a living and had these kicking around from other boats that he worked on.

I've been told by a couple of people that if I am going to add one to my boat (G3 HP180 with a Yamaha 150 HP), I should do the 6 inch.

Does anyone here have any feedback or suggestions for me regarding installation tips, whether to go with the 5 inch or 6 inch, etc.?

I'm hoping that using one of these won't require any changes to my hydraulic steering system or throttle cable, due to the setback.

Again, looking for feedback or suggestions on this aspect of it too.

Any help is appreciated  (yes)

Curt:
Picked the jackplate up this weekend.

Turns out it's a T&H Marine, so it's a good name brand unit. I hope to get it installed later this weekend, if time permits. I don't have a water pressure gauge yet, so I won't be doing any crazy adjustments when it comes to engine height yet. Just getting it on there, even at the current motor height, should make a difference in handling and speed  (yes)

n2ratfishin:
Pick yourself up some new correct size grade 8 bolts, SS washers, SS, nylock nuts.  I would suggest a minimum of 5 or 6 threads through the nuts.  I would seal the bolts through the transom with 3M 4200 and let it set for 24 hours before dunking in the water.  Budget for a new prop once you get the water pressure gage installed.  A WAG would be a 23, maybe a 24 Tempist or 24 Fury without knowing where you are now. 

Make sure the bolts are tight after running the first time and once every six months after that. 

Curt:
@n2ratfishin thanks for the valuable feedback. I appreciate it (yes)

Bullet3119:
Mr. RAT is exactly right with all of his advice on the jackplate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version