Bass Boat Mods > Jackplates

G3 Jackplate Installation

<< < (2/2)

Curt:

--- Quote from: n2ratfishin on May 12, 2015, 09:20:32 PM ---Budget for a new prop once you get the water pressure gage installed.  A WAG would be a 23, maybe a 24 Tempest or 24 Fury without knowing where you are now.   

--- End quote ---

What's WAG?

Jimmy RodandReel:

--- Quote from: n2ratfishin on May 12, 2015, 09:20:32 PM ---Pick yourself up some new correct size grade 8 bolts, SS washers, SS, nylock nuts.  I would suggest a minimum of 5 or 6 threads through the nuts.  I would seal the bolts through the transom with 3M 4200 and let it set for 24 hours before dunking in the water.  Budget for a new prop once you get the water pressure gage installed.  A WAG would be a 23, maybe a 24 Tempist or 24 Fury without knowing where you are now. 

Make sure the bolts are tight after running the first time and once every six months after that. 

--- End quote ---

Be sure to measure your current prop shaft height and set it back in the same place until your ready to start making adjustments

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jimmy RodandReel on May 13, 2015, 10:58:03 AM ---Be sure to measure your current prop shaft height and set it back in the same place until your ready to start making adjustments

--- End quote ---

Thanks @Jimmy RodandReel That's exactly what I was going to do so I get it right where it was until I get the pressure gauge and install it.  (yes)

n2ratfishin:

--- Quote from: Curt on May 13, 2015, 10:13:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: n2ratfishin on May 12, 2015, 09:20:32 PM ---Budget for a new prop once you get the water pressure gage installed.  A WAG would be a 23, maybe a 24 Tempest or 24 Fury without knowing where you are now.   

--- End quote ---

What's WAG?

--- End quote ---

Wild Guess

Curt:
Finally took the boat out for a test run this past weekend.

I was fishing a very small local river with a buddy of mine, so my test runs were with a second angler and a full tournament load, as well as a half tank of gas.

I managed a hair over 52 MPH but ran out of space due to a very sharp (90 degree) turn! Straight stretches on this river are short, so it isn't the ideal testing ground.

I could feel a difference in handling and the amount of trim needed to attain top speed, but without sufficient space to play with it, I never really got a good feel for how much difference it will make overall.

I really want to test it with just me in the boat and the room to run it WOT without running out of space.

I have a water pressure gauge that I also need to install so I can start playing with the height of the outboard and try to get the optimum setting, without losing water pressure.

So I still have a long way to go, but at least the plate is on the boat, which is the hardest part  (yes)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version