Fishing Reports & Tournament Listings by State > Rhode Island Fishing Reports & Tournament Listings

Locustville Pond

(1/1)

Curt:
Fished a club tourney on Locustville Pond this past weekend, 6-6-15.

Time: 5 AM - 12 Noon
Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
Wind: Flat early and then 5-15 MPH
Temperature: 55-65
Water temp: 65-67
Depth: 2-5 feet

This lake is fairly small, but long and narrow, so there's a lot of shoreline and plenty of open water to fish.

Based on my past experiences and my prefishing results the week before, I knew exactly where I wanted to start my day, in the upper end of the lake, where there was abundant weed cover. Because we were limited to our trolling motors, it took me a few minutes to get to that area so I could start fishing.

As I got close to my preferred area, I began chunking a white 3/8 oz. Hawgstomper buzzbait and within a few casts had a fish on, but lost it almost immediately. I had another half-hearted strike on it a minute later but it missed the bait completely. That was it for topwater action for me for the rest of the day.

As I finally got to where I actually wanted to fish, I alternated between the buzzbait, a Ribbit Frog and a homemade spinnerbait. I got my first fish of the morning on the spinnerbait, which was over 2 lbs. After going a short time with no more spinnerbait action, and the fact that it was dead calm, I switched to a 5 inch stick worm, from Lewis & Wright Bass Fishing Technologies, in a color called Shadow (Black with blue & purple flake).

Before long I had fish #2 in the net and heading into the livewell. A few minutes later, fish #3, a nice fat chunk, went into livewell #2, where I keep my kicker fish that I don't expect to have to cull.

I knew I was onto something regarding the area and the presentation, so I kept at it, saturating the area with casts, but working very, very slowly and patiently. I pretty much just threw the worm out and let it sit on the bottom for as long as I could stand it. Before too long, I would see the line start to swim off, or I would feel a thump and then see the line move.

Later in the day, the wind picked up and I tied on a different spinnerbait, that was also homemade, and landed my 5th fish.

All of the fish I had were solid, at 2 lbs. or over, so I knew I had a decent bag of fish!

Later in the day, I hooked one more good keeper on the worm, but it weight 1 3/4 lbs., so it was smaller than what I already had. Over the side it went, back into the lake.

When it was said and done, I had 12.86 lbs. anchored by a 3 1/2 lb. kicker, for the win  (yes)

I was psyched, seeing that this was my second win in a row, after having a dismal start in the opening tournament.

As of this tournament, I have now moved up into first place in the points race and am just 1/4 lb. out of first place for total weight (AOY).

Still a long way to go, though, with 6 tournaments left and some really good anglers in my club, so I need to keep my nose to the grindstone and not let up!

Jig Man:
Way to go Curt.  You're the man. \o/

Buzzbait:
congrats Curt! WTG!

Curt:
Thanks guys! It sure felt good to win another one  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version