BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: How does that Champion Ride on big water?  (Read 12406 times)

Offline jpclapacs

• Guppy
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 9lbs 6oz from a stripper pit. SMB 4lbs 2oz KY Lake
How does that Champion Ride on big water?
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »
So I am an Ranger owner and have always loved the way the Champions look and layout.  I have a friend looking at buying one and I would like to hear from some of you owners about how they ride in big rough water?  Any other issues to look for? 

I'd fish every day if my wife could afford it!

Jimmy RodandReel

Re: How does that Champion Ride on big water?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:44 PM »
Ask @n2ratfishin about the champs. I know he owned a few of them before swapping over the BassCat.

Offline n2ratfishin

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
How old a Champion is he looking into?  TN or AR years?  They are known to be great rough water boats.  Of course the longer 89" beam boats were the cats meow. 

If you can get me the model number I may be able to give you a good run down.  I gave demo rides in lots of them over the years. 

Offline jpclapacs

• Guppy
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 9lbs 6oz from a stripper pit. SMB 4lbs 2oz KY Lake
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
06 Champion 210 elite
I'd fish every day if my wife could afford it!

Offline n2ratfishin

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »
That's the biggest TN boat they built.  The 223 was an AR holdover that got moved to TN and built for a while before the 210 took over as the largest as the wide bodies grabbed hold and took off.  It rides fantastic!  It's a heavy all composite hull, read not the fastest Champion compared with the big 223.  Some of them went out with Verado's but most were outfitted with 225 or 250 two strokes.

I'd get the transom checked out real good on any Champion.  Though it's all composite you can still have problems with a transom.  If that checks out ok the foam is likely fine.  By 2006 the TN factory had their stuff together.   The trailer was made in house.  Of course have a certified mechanic go through the engine.  Don't forget the trailer.  If everything checks out you will be hard pressed to find a better big water hull. 

If you end up getting it Carol @ C&O Marine can help out with most any part or decal you may need. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:16:14 PM by n2ratfishin »

Offline Matt@Fractures

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
Great rough water ride.. Fast too.. I worked there in the 90s.. Several family members too. I continue to work on them to this day.. I've seen my fair share of em.. I was part of building 12-16 a day for several years .. There's good and bad .. Just like any other manufacture.. And I just bought and old 18 ftR last week.. Just to let ya in on what I do.. Fiberglass repair.. Also did repairs for champion....Oh and did I mention I bought an 18ftR last week.!!! Even if it's just to fix up and resell ... And if your looking at any used boat Look the boat over just as good as the motor or bells N whistles.. After all the biggest motor and best graphs... Don't really float that well!!!! sorry.. Little rant.. Champions are good boats .. Some one thought so if they still make em....... Cough stratos... Cough cough ranger.. Triple cough now tracker..?? Wow confused?? I am..!! And as for the champion purchase go for it!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt@Fractures

• Minnow
How does that Champion Ride on big water?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:55 PM »
Yes one has to watch what they buy.!!! Good looking boat right!!! Nice very clean champion.. Really clean...... uh oh.!!!!  so look the boat over.!!! And just to show off here is a few after my repair.. All composite transom now!!!!
I posted this because there is an interesting twist to it.. When this happened. To the transom..The current owner... Was test driving it.!!! Like the old saying goes.. Never judge a book by its cover.!!!! now this old 88 SOLID as a rock!! The transom.. And no it's not because it only has a Suzuki 115 on it.. It's had 150s on it most of its life I'd bet.. Floors still good.... So go figure.??? I can't and I see it every day!!! Moral of the story... Look the entire boat over!!!! Or take it to a pro for inspection. Before purchase..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:15:56 PM by Matt@Fractures »

Offline RangerXs

• Guppy
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
I'm a current Ranger owner.......however I owned 3 ChampioNs in past years a 176,188,and also a 198. The ride of a ChampioN is fantastic! I ran the 188 and 198 on Lake Erie in some not so calm waters on more than a few occasions.  Rough water rides depend on how good the driver is.........but a Champ will perform great in the rough stuff with the right driver. The 210  is a big boat and won't have much trouble when the waters get nasty. Not many problems on the ChampioNs.........just check the transom out real good and look for stress cracks.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal