Bass Fishing Forums > Bass Fishing Tips & Techniques

Shaky head fishing. Lets discuss it.

(1/7) > >>

Jimmy RodandReel:
One of my favorite ways to catch fish is the shaky head.  Something about light line and a smooth drag just does it for me.  So here is a run down of my shaky head rig.

#1. Reel. The most important thing is buying a reel with a great drag system in it. Or you can DIY by replacing the drag system with the carbontex washers by smooth drag out in Ca.  A med to moderate ratio reel will do just fine/ mine is a 5.7:1/. Also do worry too much about spool size as long as it holds 100-120 yards 6-8 line.

#2. The rod! OMG I could go on forever about the different shaky heads rods I have build and tried so I will settle on the one that has a tried and trued place in my heart.  Its a St. Croix SCIII  7ft Med  with a extra fast tip. 4-10pnd line. Fuji Alconite guides, Fuji reel seat and hand build EVA grips. The extra fast tip help launch the light weights used in SH fishing and help detecting the light bites. This rod also has all the backbone you would ever need for 6-8pnd line.
BTW: I am in the process of building a new one rod on again a St. Croix 7" 6' blank. I will keep you informed of how I like it.

#3. Line. Without starting a board war about which one is best, all I will tell you about is what I use. I prefer a line with a lot of shock absorption, meaning I fish mono on my SH. BPS excel in a 6pnd test is MY line of choice. The stuff is tough and has the strength I want to fight large and small mouth.  Added plus..It does not cost an arm and a leg.

#4. The Shaky head. There are 1000's of them out there and I think I have fishing most of them and I have settled on the PJ's football head. Great head, good strong hook, easy to rig and it just plumb catches fish.

#5. Lure. Use what you like but don't use a bait so big that it over powers your head. I catch most of my fish on a zoom ring worm in pumpkin seed or watermelon seed red fleck. These baits are getting harder and harder to find as time goes on.

Tell us about your SH rig and how you fish it.  :)

bassfan73:
Wow, excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

Curt:
I've never fished a shaky head in my life!

I guess after all of that info, I would also like to see some video on rigging and fishing a shaky head :)

Jimmy RodandReel:
Videos???? Haha just got a smart phone this year and still have not figured it out yet  :o

Curt:
This thread has given me some ideas for another new section of the site. Stay tuned :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version