BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 183
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Pachaug Pond - Voluntown  (Read 8355 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Pachaug Pond - Voluntown
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Fished a club tourney here on Saturday, 8-29-15

Hours: 5 AM - 12 Noon
Skies: Fog early then bright sunshine
Air Temp: 60 - 80
Water temp: 74 - 78

I pre-fished for this tourney only a few short hours the weekend before. Due to the limited time I spent, I only caught one fish. But that one fish gave me a good idea of where I needed to be fishing and what I needed to be doing.

I started the morning in a cove that I have done well in during past tournaments. The first hour was uneventful, no matter what I threw.

Then I picked up a decent keeper on a 4 inch Senko knockoff.  (whew) Got the skunk out of the way!

A short time later I landed another one on the same bait, in the same general area.

After a 45 minute spell, I landed fish number 3. All were decent keepers, with the biggest being a bit over 2 lbs.

Then the hunt was on for #4 and #5. By this time the fog had cleared and the sun was getting high and very bright, so I knew shade would play a factor in the location of the fish.

The area where I was fishing had a lot of coontail weed, but it also had some scattered areas of lily pad beds. Under these pads was completely shaded, so I began targeting them specifically.

I rigged up a 4 inch Salty B-Bug (from Lure Parts Online) on a fairly heavy rod, with a 1 oz. pegged weight and started pitching it into the pads, so it immediately penetrated them and dropped through to the water underneath.

Bingo!

Within less than 5 minutes of starting to do this, I had a fish well over 3 lbs. in the boat. #4!

A minute or two later, I hooked another one that was over 2 lbs. but it jumped and came unbuttoned next to the boat.  (fp)

Now I was determined to keep at it until I landed fish #5. I spent a bit more time in that cove, but didn't get any more bites, so I headed to another area of the lake where I knew there were some good pads. 15 minutes of pitching resulted in no bites whatsoever, so I moved to another area that had some other types of weeds that were fairly heavy.

Another 10 minutes of flipping these weeds resulted in no bites.

So with only 30 minutes left in the tourney, I headed back to my first cove and started pitching again. I was rewarded within 5 minutes, with a nice bass about 3 1/2 lbs.  (yes) (yes)

At the weigh-in, most guys had small bags, with only one other angler weighing a limit.

When it was all done, I had a bag of 12.27 lbs. and the win!

Up until this tourney, I had never caught fish this way before. But now that I've done it and gotten comfortable with it, I can't wait to be able to do it again  (y)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Buzzbait

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Pachaug Pond - Voluntown
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
congrats on the win, Curt!  (y)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Pachaug Pond - Voluntown
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal