BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 158
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Side Imaging & Structure Scan?  (Read 14364 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Side Imaging & Structure Scan?
« on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »
Just wondering how many members have either Side Imaging or Structure Scan units on their boats.

If so, have you seen huge benefits from it, or is it just another under-utilized feature on your boat?

I personally have Side Imaging on the Bird that's mounted at my console. I've done some playing with and find it pretty fascinating, but I don't believe I'm getting anywhere near its full potential.

Some of that might have to do with the types of lakes I fish. Many of them are pretty shallow (less than 10 feet). But I know that I have to be missing out on some great stuff by not spending more time learning to use it better.

How about the rest of you??

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Side Imaging & Structure Scan?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »
I run Lowrance HDS units front and console.  I have structure scan both places.  The way I use it is to idle down a bank recording all channels.  That gives me side, down, 2 d sonar and the chart.  When I have recorded a bank, I pull off and play it back through the simulator.  That way I can look at everything at the same time and not have to worry with driving the boat.

As I watch the recording I am able to see various structure and cover items and decide if or not to mark them.  I can also see submerged trees and find fish holding on them.  When the recording finished and the spots I want have wpts set I head back to fish the wpts.

In this one I was tracking a bunch of threadfin shad.

Here I located some white bass (circled) and was able to catch 6 of them.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:59:33 PM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
@Jig Man That's some pretty cool stuff.

I wish I had more time on my hands to spend time really learning how to get the most out of mine. Maybe some day   (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »
A designated 30 minutes per trip recording and later viewing might work out for you.  You can find some really good spots to fish just moving along a feeder stream recording submerged stuff along the old banks.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline ACRon

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:26 AM »
I am running  a HDS12 Gen 2 Touch and HDS7 Gen 2 Touch on my console and a HDS12 Gen 2 Touch on the bow.  I have LSS-2 on the stern and a LSS-1 on the trolling motor.  I fully utilize the DI and SS on both.  Everything is fully networked.  Love them.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »
I learned a little more about mine during 2015, but still not nearly as much as I could have.

Oh well. Maybe in 2016  (shrug)

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
After using an HDS-5 for a couple years on the bow (not structure options), I decided to replace my df and plotter on the console w/an HDS - wanting to eliminate 1 unit and also network for waypoint purposes. Then I found a deal on an HDS-7 with all the structure scan stuff (LSS1) along with the network stuff..... Then I found another deal on HDS-8 recon at Cabela's.  :rolleyes:

That was over the winter and now looking at getting things put in. Also 2nd-guessing and now watching for an HDS-8 or 10 head unit to use instead of the 7.

To the string theme here, I've gotten and going thru the Dr Sonar DVDs that are supposed to educate on the structure scan stuff (and help me out to get more out of the HDS units that I haven't figured out so far [which is ALOT  (fp) ].

After I get things in and rollin', I'll try to add more useful info to the string here. At used prices, I can afford to find out if the structure scan stuff is worth messin' with.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
I've gotten and going thru the Dr Sonar DVDs that are supposed to educate on the structure scan stuff (and help me out to get more out of the HDS units that I haven't figured out so far [which is ALOT  (fp) ].

Despite being a tech head, I do find some of the electronics stuff a bit overwhelming when I'm on the water. I think part of that is because my mind is made up to fish when I launch the boat, not spend time fiddling with screens, settings, etc.

If I could break myself free of that mindset and spend a bit more time learning the ins and outs of my units, I'd probably get a lot more out of them.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »
When I first started with SI, I was fortunate to have a certified training expert spend a full day on the water with me - wow what he could do with the 'birds is amazing. Biggest takeaway I got was NEVER use automatic settings, tune it constantly for the best representation, and find the most contrasting color scheme - on the 'birds it is typically amber1 or amber2, depending on ambient light. Go to 'enhanced' mode in SI for the ability to easily modify contrast and sensitivity, juggle them to get where you can pick out twigs - yes you literally can!

So, now I'm running 2 'birds and a lowrance, got a HDS5 and a 1199 SI on the console, and an 999 SI on the bow. Yes, I use both console units, I've found the different mapping is a BIG asset - found things on Lake Fork on the HDS that let me run outside of the 'marked boat lanes' because it showed up where the original tree fields were cut thru that don't show up on paper maps, or other electronic charts. In talking to some friends that guide there, they call those the 'guide lanes' and very few people know about how to locate them. Other times, I use the HDS in GPS mode as a big speedo or flasher mode when running to monitor depth, have found some nice 'humps' that way.

The SI/DI up front is new this year, and I'm liking it, I've found brush under docks that I didn't know was there by being able to peak sideways under them as I'm fishing - I always knew I could find when cruising watching the SI on the console, but now have the ability to 'sweep' up under a dock when on the trolling motor.

And, yes, the big screen TV concept is great on these aging eyes, spend the $$ for the biggest screen you can go in debt for, you'll thank yourself next time you are on the water!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »
@frugalangler Thanks for the info and insight!

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal