Electronics Forums > General Electronics Q&A

Side Imaging & Structure Scan?

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
Just wondering how many members have either Side Imaging or Structure Scan units on their boats.

If so, have you seen huge benefits from it, or is it just another under-utilized feature on your boat?

I personally have Side Imaging on the Bird that's mounted at my console. I've done some playing with and find it pretty fascinating, but I don't believe I'm getting anywhere near its full potential.

Some of that might have to do with the types of lakes I fish. Many of them are pretty shallow (less than 10 feet). But I know that I have to be missing out on some great stuff by not spending more time learning to use it better.

How about the rest of you??

Jig Man:
I run Lowrance HDS units front and console.  I have structure scan both places.  The way I use it is to idle down a bank recording all channels.  That gives me side, down, 2 d sonar and the chart.  When I have recorded a bank, I pull off and play it back through the simulator.  That way I can look at everything at the same time and not have to worry with driving the boat.

As I watch the recording I am able to see various structure and cover items and decide if or not to mark them.  I can also see submerged trees and find fish holding on them.  When the recording finished and the spots I want have wpts set I head back to fish the wpts.

In this one I was tracking a bunch of threadfin shad.

Here I located some white bass (circled) and was able to catch 6 of them.

Curt:
@Jig Man That's some pretty cool stuff.

I wish I had more time on my hands to spend time really learning how to get the most out of mine. Maybe some day   (hmm)

Jig Man:
A designated 30 minutes per trip recording and later viewing might work out for you.  You can find some really good spots to fish just moving along a feeder stream recording submerged stuff along the old banks.

ACRon:
I am running  a HDS12 Gen 2 Touch and HDS7 Gen 2 Touch on my console and a HDS12 Gen 2 Touch on the bow.  I have LSS-2 on the stern and a LSS-1 on the trolling motor.  I fully utilize the DI and SS on both.  Everything is fully networked.  Love them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version