BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 175
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Wacky vs. Texas  (Read 19712 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Wacky vs. Texas
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
I fish soft stick worms (Senko style baits quite a bit.

To this day, I can honestly say that I have never caught a single fish on a wacky rigged bait of this type.

Every fish I have ever caught on them has been on a Texas rigged bait, And it's not for lack of trying the Wacky rig.

There have been days when I've tried ti and caught nothing, but switched back to the T rig and catch another fish.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions to make the Wacky rig more enticing, or maybe fill me in on something that I might be missing here?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Wacky vs. Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
I can't bring myself to wacky rig a worm, I feel like I would get hung up too much.    And I rarely rarely fish a senko style worm, but when I do it is texas rig weightless.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:33:37 PM »
Wacky is what I do when the water is high in the spring.  I fish along flooded bushes and let the bait settle next to them.  I sometimes put a carpet tack in one end to make it fall faster than the other end.  I don't do it unless the water is high.

Curt you should bite that senko off and Ned Rig it sometime in the spring or summer.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ned+rig&FORM=VIRE7#view=detail&mid=56D639C8890DD1D4FB5A56D639C8890DD1D4FB5A
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
Wacky is what I do when the water is high in the spring.  I fish along flooded bushes and let the bait settle next to them.  I sometimes put a carpet tack in one end to make it fall faster than the other end.  I don't do it unless the water is high.

Curt you should bite that senko off and Ned Rig it sometime in the spring or summer.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ned+rig&FORM=VIRE7#view=detail&mid=56D639C8890DD1D4FB5A56D639C8890DD1D4FB5A

Thanks for the tips, @Jig Man Maybe for the 2016 season I'll catch some fish on a stick worm that's not T rigged  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline TK10

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:42:16 PM »
Wacky is my favorite!  They are great for docks and edges of cover.  I always have one rigged on the deck.  I only use the Yamamoto 5" Senko.  I prefer the faster fall rate they have.
I rig mine on 8lb fluorocarbon or 30lb braid with 1/0 Gamakatsu Finesse W.G. Weedless hooks and an O'Wacky tool O-Ring.
Occasionally on windy days I will use an 1/16 or 1/8 wacky jig w/ weed guard.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
Wacky is my favorite!  They are great for docks and edges of cover.  I always have one rigged on the deck.  I only use the Yamamoto 5" Senko.  I prefer the faster fall rate they have.
I rig mine on 8lb fluorocarbon or 30lb braid with 1/0 Gamakatsu Finesse W.G. Weedless hooks and an O'Wacky tool O-Ring.
Occasionally on windy days I will use an 1/16 or 1/8 wacky jig w/ weed guard.

Thanks for the tips  :thumbup:

Welcome to the site @TK10  (yes)

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »
Like TK10, the Wacky is my favorite worm.

Depending on brand, I go with the 5-5.5" length except to downsize for Spots. Nothing fancy for rigging - 8# Trilene XL tied to a #4 Octopus hook. No added weight. Medium-light 6-6 spinning rig.

If I'm working in limited clarity

Best application is weed bed edges and spot-targets like stumps but will work well when exploring points down to 20'.

It will work the whole water column with a drop rate of 2-2.5 seconds per foot. Give a very minor twitch or two every 3-4 feet of drop. A retrieve consists of a high lift of the rod tip and allow to settle again repeating above. Most bites come on initial drop.

Don't look for an attack on the thing - leave the line loose on the surface and just watch for a momentary twitch or flicker of the line.... the fish just inhaled it. Wind the tip down and give it a light to moderate pop and fish-on.

I picked my best fish off a stump 17' foot down in open water with that exact set-up.

Beauty part of the hook-up is better than 3/4 of the time the hook will be in the center upper lip or roof of its mouth. I can only remember 1x that a fish swallowed the thing.

SBG did me a solid with a heads-up for a goin-outta-business buy. Bought 15# of my fav color combo. If I'd a been there personal I'd a probably bought 50# of various colors.....but ya gotta draw the line somewheres  (shrug).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:28:39 AM by Nightmare »

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
Black and blue or green pumpkin 5 or 6 inch Falcon weed less http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_Lures_Weighted_Weedless_K_Wacky_Hook_3pk/descpage-FWKWH.html 20-25 pound Ande florescent green mono skip it under a pontoon boat and put your rod down and watch your line (it floats.) Check the weed guard every cast to make sure it hasn't come undone or caught over the barb. One of most effective summer big fish techniques in New England. Eyes bleed boring but effective.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
Eyes bleed boring but effective.

(giggle)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
our go to senko is green and white laminate wacky rigged with the O ring or reg
sometimes a nail is added to the tail or a small willow leaf blade on a swivel  but I bet more fish are caught on senkos in NY then any other bait but very few will admit to using it.  Not sure why but whatever it takes is what I do   cant beat it for a frog blow up followup bait using a weedless hook     
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Egreen024

• Guppy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
I use waky style 90% of the time, with minimum hung ups, I usually skeep it under docks or brush hanging over banks. Let it sink  shake once or twice and repeat. I fished fairly fast, and do cover a lot of water. Along with a tube there's always one on boats deck, tube on baitcaster senior on spinning.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:31:16 PM by Egreen024 »

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 09:29:42 PM »
Eyes bleed boring but effective.

What HE said.

Oh yeah - if I'm working low clarity water or going deep or low light, I might stuff a rattle up its butt.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal