BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 176
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 346028 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Braid
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
I never use braid. I tried it "back in the day", when it was new and even when Berkley released Fire Line. For some reason, though, I just never really grew to like it.

I didn't like the inconvenience of having to carry scissors or use clippers to cut it. I also didn't like the fact that I had to tie specific knots with it.

And, lastly, I don't like the fact that it isn't good around rocks, since a lot of the lakes I fish have an abundance of rocks in them.

I still use mono 90% of the time, although I do mix it up a bit with regard to different brands for different applications.

And I also use fluoro on one or two outfits. Right now it's pretty much only for fishing the Salty B-Bug. I spool that rig up with 17 lb. Bass Pro Shops 100% fluoro. I've found this line to be an excellent value for the money and it has never, ever failed me.

But, back to braid. I know that a lot of guys like to use it for fishing heavy vegetation. What other ways do you guys prefer braid over mono or fluoro?

I'm all ears and listening  (yes)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:31:16 AM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »
I use braid on at least 8 setups. I use from 8/1 to 50# Power Pro in white or hi vis yellow. 

The lighter I use for vertical jigging for the feel.  Any time I am fishing vertically in over 25' of water, I will catch a lot more fish on braid than any thing else. 

I use 20 or 30 # braid on some of my shaky setups with a 2-3' fluro leader fishing some real narly rocks. 

I really like to use 30# braid on spinnerbaits.  I think I can feel a fish breathe on them.

I have 2 setups with 50# braid that are used exclusively for Alabama Rigs.

My first experience was with "Fire Line" when it first came out.  That was some nasty stuff that caused me all kinds of trouble, especially wind knots.  I left braid for quite a while then I tried Power Pro and haven't looked back.  There may be a better one but I won't know unless someone buys me some.  As far as cutting goes, I carry pliers, scissors, hook disgorger and my Pop Snagger tool on a calf mounted holder so cutting is not a problem for me.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:08:49 PM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
If I'm fishing on the bottom I am using braid. Power Pro for me too.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
I use braid on at least 8 setups. I use from 8/1 to 50# Power Pro in white or hi vis yellow. 

The lighter I use for vertical jigging for the feel.  Any time I am fishing vertically in over 25' of water, I will catch a lot more fish on braid than any thing else. 

I use 20 or 30 # braid on some of my shaky setups with a 2-3' fluro leader fishing some real narly rocks. 

I really like to use 30# braid on spinnerbaits.  I think I can feel a fish breathe on them.

I have 2 setups with 50# braid that are used exclusively for Alabama Rigs.

My first experience was with "Fire Line" when it first came out.  That was some nasty stuff that caused me all kinds of trouble, especially wind knots.  I left braid for quite a while then I tried Power Pro and haven't looked back.  There may be a better one but I won't know unless someone buys me some.  As far as cutting goes, I carry pliers, scissors, hook disgorger and my Pop Snagger tool on a calf mounted holder so cutting is not a problem for me.

@Jig Man & @transamz9 What knots do you use with your braid? And what knot do you use to tie to the fluoro leader?

If I remember right, I used to use the Palomar knot, back when I was experimenting with braid.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
Curt I use only one knot for all lines.  It is the Pitzen also known as the 16/20.  It is fast and easy.  It holds all lines.  I can tie it with gloves on my hands.

Sometimes I use the Alberto's knot but if it is windy I go for the Double Surgeon's knot.  It is not as good as Alberto's but a lot faster and easier to tie.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
Is this the one you use? You use it for braid, mono and fluoro?

And this for joining lines?

Offline pondhopper424

• Bluegill
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:29:35 AM »
Two things to consider about my fishing; 1) do to the size of my boat I only carry 5 rods, 2) most of the water I fish is stained to muddy. 2 rods braid, 3 Fluro.
If I am fishing jigs or plastic in the weeds I use 30# Power Pro braid. Most anything else I use 10# Fluro. I know for most that may seem lightweight but I have never lost a fish due to a broken line and I have pulled some 6 to 8 pound bass out of some mighty heavy weeds.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
Yes Curt. Those are the knots I use.  However, I do 5 wraps with the Pitzen and 6 with the Alberto's.  On that Pitzen, I hold the loop in my off hand and let the bait swing around the line to make the wraps instead of wrapping them by hand.   That is why I can tie that knot with gloves on. 

After watching that video I think you can see why I use the double Surgeon's instead of the Alberto's in the boat.

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »
I could not imagine NOT using braid, especially on my swim jig setups.   Looks like you were using that really stiff stuff curt.

I like using Power Pro or Suffix 887.  And I tie a regular palamor with no issues.

I like using the braid scissors and actually use them on all my line.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »

I like using the braid scissors and actually use them on all my line.

I have never had to carry scissors, since I use my teeth on mono and fluoro  (giggle)

So this would explain why I view having to carry scissors a nuisance.  (shrug)

Due to the feedback here, though, I might be buying some Power Pro during the winter to try in the spring, especially on bottom baits, like jigs and soft plastics.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
A little tip Curt. Braid is more expensive so I do a couple things to get my money's worth out of it. One on some of my reels that hold a lot of line or when I use small line I will spool some Mono on the reel to take up space and not use so much braid. On my other reels that are braid only I will re spool onto another reel. Braid don't have memory and the line on the bottom of the reel never gets used so I pick a reel that has line on it that has already been reversed and pull all the line off of it. I will then tie the line from one reel to this reel. I will put tension on the line and start cranking. This puts the old used up line on the bottom of the spool and new unused line on top. :thumbup:

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
Also, I carry a folding razor knife as a pocket knife so I just use it to cut my braid. I don't use scissors either.

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 02:21:27 PM »
The scissors I use are very small, and I usually keep it in my pocket just like my knife.  I also keep a pair in my front tray as well as a pair in my console tray.   I think they cost $2 or something like that.
I used to always use my teeth on my line, but the scissors work better, even for removing old knots off of lures that I had once bit off  :)
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
The scissors I use are very small, and I usually keep it in my pocket just like my knife.  I also keep a pair in my front tray as well as a pair in my console tray.   I think they cost $2 or something like that.

So they're obviously not any kind of special scissors. How do they hold up to being out in the weather?

Got a picture or a link to them somewhere?

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
Oh Curt you can get some like mine at Wally World sewing center.  They are less than 10 bones and are sharp as a razor.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal