BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 266
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 346053 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Braid
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »

The knife I'm referring to is a folding razor that can be worked with one hand and replaceable blade. I've tried the scissors and  to be honest I'm not very organized  while out one the water so by the time I find where I threw them I have my bait back in the water after using my knife. Lol

OK.. that razor knife makes more sense than a standard pocket knife. Razor knives are definitely more inclined to be sharp enough to cut braid quickly.

I try to stay as organized as possible and have certain spots where I keep specific tools, so I can usually find them pretty quickly when I need them  :nod:

But at the end of the day, it's all about what works best for each individual  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 03:07:14 PM »
Here's what's been my goto for cutting line (thanks to @sbg for turning me on to these), but they are pricey at about $19 each. But, they work great, even for braided line. I keep this on my belt loop or the little ring on cargo shorts for tournaments. I like to keep the scissors in the little tool rack on the side of the gunwale also, and with these with the hook sharpener they will replace the Rapala ones.  http://www.tackletour.com/images11/picboomerangsnip2.jpg
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 07:23:28 AM »
If you want an all in one tool Curt, check out the red and black handle pliers in my pic on page 1.  They are called Pop Snaggers.  They have pliers, jig eye buster, cutting edge that will cut braid, an line threader and a hook sharpener built into the handles.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
Yep. Frugal is right. Its called "the snip". And it does a great job at cutting braid. And all other kinds of line. I keep it hooked to my side the whole time fishin. For you guys throwin power pro.... give sunline fx2 a try. Especially for your heavier stuff. 50 pound braid and up is all they make but I use it for all my baitcasters with braid. Im tellin ya you will use that power pro for anchor line once you use the sunline. 30 pound diawa samurai braid for my spinning reels. Ive thrown the 50lb in some nasty stuff with a frog or swimming a jig. Its held up great.
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »
For you guys throwin power pro.... give sunline fx2 a try

Good info. Thanks @sbg   :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »
Ive thrown the 50lb in some nasty stuff with a frog or swimming a jig. Its held up great.
    yea let us know how it is when ya finally catch something     (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) (giggle) 
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 09:19:52 PM »
Ha!  Held up to this fella pretty good.
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »
And Green fish know better to live in the South rather than be a popcicle in New Yawk   (cup)  (yes)
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »
you musta took 100 pics of that same fish in diff poses u even changed your clothes in a few of em  .   can I get a photoshop amen              i think I hurt my spleen laughin so hard............ (giggle)
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
You know i aint smart enough to work a photo shop!   (hmm)
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
u even changed your clothes in a few of em

(giggle)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
Well, I stopped into Wal-Mart today and bought some braided line for one of my spinning rigs. Gonna take the braid plunge again.

They didn't have any 10 lb. braid, so I had to buy the next size up that was available, which was 15 lb. test. They had Power Pro and a couple of other brands. I know Power Pro is reputable, but I opted to try Mustad Braided line instead.

So this evening I proceeded to spool up the braid and then tied a leader to it. In doing so, I had to learn to tie a new knot, since it's been eons since I last joined two lines together.

I chose the Alberto knot that @Jig Man had mentioned. When I first watched the video it looked a little tough to get, but I watched it twice and then tied the knot and it came out perfectly.

So now I can't wait to try it out! I think I'll be using it for a shakey head rig first.  :nod:

Oh, and I will let everyone know how I like the Mustad braid.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 05:37:10 AM »
switched to the albright knot.   way easier to tie in wind and a bouncing boat  so far its held up really well.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
switched to the albright knot.   way easier to tie in wind and a bouncing boat  so far its held up really well.

Thanks. I'll see how the Alberto knot goes. If it doesn't fair well, I will give the albright a try. I've heard of it in the past too.  :nod:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
I just checked out the albright knot. Looks the exact same as the Alberto knot to me!  (hmm)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal