BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 177
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Ultimate Bunk Boards?  (Read 11461 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Ultimate Bunk Boards?
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
I remember when Ultimate Bunk Boards first came on the market back in the late 1990s or early 2000. I had considered buying them back then, but changed my mind.

Has anyone here had experience with them at all, or known anyone who used them?

Here's a link to their website, just in case you're not familiar with them. http://ultimatebunkboards.com/

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: Ultimate Bunk Boards?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »
I looked at that idea too and looked them up to find they were mighty proud (pricey) of their product. So, I started researching that type of product (not like they worked that thing out from scratch, right?) and got boned up on that whole "synthetic wood" deal with the chemical composition and like. I found that they didn't publish their info so I contacted them to request it. They wanted to know why so I explained I was shopping and comparing - which I was. They pretty well told me to go fly a kite... Really?  :o So I came to the conclusion that they were just "repackaging" somebody else's product and marking up the price about 250% like it was something special.

I also decided that according to places that actually manufactured such stuff, it was required to be supported at way-closer intervals than what is provided for by trailer support spacing. In short, the stuff is going to start sagging between the supports in short order and that places too much weight on way to little surface.

When I looked at your link, I see where they figured that out because now they've added lateral attached metal reinforcement.

And shipping $ was just crazy.

I stayed with wood. Figured I could replace wood like 30x for the price of that other stuff.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:46:16 AM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
Wood has never steered me wrong  (nope)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »
It seems nowdays most are still using wood with the Gatorback covers.   If my carpeted bunks wear out this is what I plan to go to also.  http://www.gatorbak.com/
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »
It seems nowdays most are still using wood with the Gatorback covers.   If my carpeted bunks wear out this is what I plan to go to also.  http://www.gatorbak.com/

Only issue w/ them is that the must be per mfg wet when you load the boat, their instructions:

We strongly recommend against (aggressive) Power loading or (any) dry Loading your craft. This will void your warranty from Gatorbak........
While ramp conditions can vary and will dictate the loading method required to compensate for wind, current or water level,
Always ensure that your bunks are wet before loading.

When loading your boat put your trailer in the water untill the bunks are covered in water as much as possible.
Then pull your trailer forward until the bunks are just at the water level.

If I did that my entire arse end of my Jeep would be in the drink on most ramps, geez, wood and good carpet are cheap and easy to maintain, spray w/ some silicone once or twice a year and they slide easy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:58:04 PM by frugalangler »
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
Doesn't change anything for me on mine, my carpet is always wet when I load.  Have heard nothing but good things on the other forums, but I have not seen any in person.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:39 AM »
Whenever I redo my bunks Im probably going with the Gatorback stuff. It keeps the parts where support meets boat dry. Yes I have the dreaded blisters on the bottom of my hull too.  (fp). Not bad but they are there. So when I do replace my bunks it will be with something so that the hull can stay dry.
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator