BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 280
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Newbie to bait making can i get some advice  (Read 24693 times)

Offline nitrobassboater

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Newbie to bait making can i get some advice
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:13:03 PM »
Hey everyone I am a newbie to making bait.  I have fished and fished for 30 years and I am wanting to get into making my own baits.  I am looking to get a lead melting pot the LEEs production pot.  It was a toss up between that and the hot pot that you can pour out of.  The only reason i went with the LEEs production pot is because it is only 4 bucks difference. 

I want to start out by pouring my own jigs.  I use jigs a lot and at the same time lose them as much since I get into so crazy cover.  I thought this may help save a few bucks as well as how cool is it to catch all your bass in a tourney on your own home made jig. 

So since I am new I have a few questions.  How much lead would you melt if you are pouring say 10 - 15 jigs?  Just some 1/2 to 3/4 oz flip jigs.  If i melt to much do I just make some new lead blocks for the next time?

Any recommendations on certain jig molds to get to get started?  I flip a lot and use shaky heads as well.  Would like to get into some underspins and other jigs later on.

Any tips you can give me as I get started on this addictive part of this already addictive sport.

jesse

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
Re: Newbie to bait making can i get some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:37:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

If you are getting into bait making to save money then do the math first.  Pot around $50.  Molds 25-45 each.  Skirts for the jigs 25 to 50 cents per tab so 50 cents to $1 per jig.  Good hooks 50 cents each.  Lead $2-5 per pound.  Gloves, goggles, paint, etc etc.

All that said I have been doing it for over 30 years.  I make all of my own jigs and plastics (except for Zero worms which aren't poured).  I have never saved any money but have a great time.

To answer your question about the lead.  You fill your pot about 1/2 to 2/3 full, pour your jigs and unplug the pot.  Leave the lead in to slow down rust.

Please feel free to post other questions here if you want to.  I'll be glad to give you help in locating supplies if you head into this venture.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline nitrobassboater

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

If you are getting into bait making to save money then do the math first.  Pot around $50.  Molds 25-45 each.  Skirts for the jigs 25 to 50 cents per tab so 50 cents to $1 per jig.  Good hooks 50 cents each.  Lead $2-5 per pound.  Gloves, goggles, paint, etc etc.

All that said I have been doing it for over 30 years.  I make all of my own jigs and plastics (except for Zero worms which aren't poured).  I have never saved any money but have a great time.

To answer your question about the lead.  You fill your pot about 1/2 to 2/3 full, pour your jigs and unplug the pot.  Leave the lead in to slow down rust.

Please feel free to post other questions here if you want to.  I'll be glad to give you help in locating supplies if you head into this venture.
Jig man your right.  I guess what part of fishing saves ya money.    it will be cool though to catch fish on your own poured and tied jig.  Thanks for answering my questions and I hope you don't mind me asking a few more here in the next few days.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 06:31:37 AM »
Like I stated, ask away.

One thing you might want to do is buy some heads already poured, either painted or unpainted.  Buy some skirts for them and assemble them to see if you like the process.

I started shooting my own tubes about 7 years ago.  My first tube cost me over $300.  I may be approaching retail price by now but I'm not sure.  The thing I know is I can have any amount of tubes any time I want in any color combination without having to go shopping.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:37:25 AM by Jig Man »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »
I started making my own spinnerbaits way back in the early 1990s. As with anything you're just starting out at, there will always be an initial outlay of cash. Sometimes you might break even after a while. Sometimes you never catch up. But when you're making your own lures, it's more about the fun of making them and the satisfaction of catching fish on lures you made yourself than it is about saving money  (yes)

I started out by buying pre-poured spinnerbait heads and painting them myself, then eventually bought a lead pot, molds, etc.

And then I started pouring my own jigs and buzzbaits.

Eventually I got tired of pouring, and then tired of painting, so I started buying pre-poured and pre-painted heads and making my own skirts. I now make my own spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs and bladed jigs. But I never have to touch a lead pot or paint  (nope)

Over the years, I've won thousands of dollars in tournaments with my own lures, from small club tourneys, to open tournaments with 50 boats. It's an awesome feeling to be able to catch big fish on your own lures  :thumbup:

And, as @Jig Man said, ask away! We'll be more than happy to answer your questions and help you get started  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline nitrobassboater

• Guppy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 06:06:46 PM »
The more i think about it the more i wonder if it would be better to just get pre-poured jig heads and then make the skirts and paint.

My only wonder is a place that you will get quality jig heads with size hook you want and type of hook you want.

Do you guys have any recommendations on a place to get jig heads that have a quality hook.  i'm looking for 3/0 4/0 hook flipping style hook thickness?

When you guys bought your pre pours how often did you run into problems with the hooks? (bent points, Sharpness)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
@nitrobassboater you should be able to get everything you need from www.lurepartsonline.com

When I first started making my own baits, I used to buy from a few different places. Unfortunately, I ran into issues with inconsistent quality from some vendors. Ultimately, I ended up buying from Stamina Tackle, which is now Lure Parts Online.

Their spinnerbait heads, buzzbait heads and jigs are the best in the industry. Why? Because they get their lead products from the same company that makes these things for some very major big-name companies. Think Booyah, Mann's, Z-Man, etc.

I don't even bother painting any longer.

As for hook sizes, the Lure Parts Online website shows the hook sizes for the various jigs, spinnerbaits, etc., right on the product page. And they definitely use top of the line hooks that are sized properly.

Give them a look and let me know what you think.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:37:24 AM »
If you buy poured, unpainted heads try to get them without the weed guard installed.  They are way easier to paint and/or put skirts on with no weed guard.  The weed guard is the last step in making a jig.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »
The weed guard is the last step in making a jig.

I'm assuming you must epoxy the weed guards in?

I always bought or poured my own with the weed guards already in, but if you hand tie your skirts, the weed guard can definitely get in the way.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
Super glue gel is the way to hold the wg in place. 

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Super glue gel is the way to hold the wg in place. 

Much easier than mixing epoxy  (giggle)

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
Initially I started molding my own jigs because of time on the water. It takes a lot of time sometimes to retrieve a snagged jig and sometimes you end up snapping it off anyway. Nothing worse than hanging up on your first cast to a great looking tree and wrecking it retrieving a $4 dollar bait. Nothing to snap off a 50 cent jig and tie a new one on.
As the states around me started banning lead baits I hedged  by buying all the molds of the baits that I use so to pour non lead versions. Lot more expensive using bismuth but at least I have the baits that I want and are legal.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
It takes a lot of time sometimes to retrieve a snagged jig and sometimes you end up snapping it off anyway. Nothing worse than hanging up on your first cast to a great looking tree and wrecking it retrieving a $4 dollar bait. Nothing to snap off a 50 cent jig and tie a new one on.

Exactly  (yes)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »
Yep.  I only go after expensive jerk baits and A rigs.  Everything else either comes or bleeds.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
I actually don't even own any molds now. I sold them and my pot several years ago. I really don't miss pouring lead. I always viewed it as a chore.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal