Outboard Motor Forums (by brand) > Mercury/Mariner Outboards

pro 150 xs

(1/1)

fishon-son:
this motor is on my vlo stratus bassboat..my speedo seams to not be working when I start up it reads 10mph stand still.then underway it reads 10 to 15 mph over or sometimes under..its a 2012 so I'm out of warranty any help?  it wrapped up for winter so id like to do what I can before spring.

JackJ:
Speedometers on boats are useless.  Not sure why they even still put them on one.    All it takes is a little dirt or sand in the pickup tube and they will no longer be accurate.
In my opinion don't worry about it.  Even if you get it to be a little more accurate it wont last very long, as the first piece of leaf, grit, or sand that gets back in the tube you will be off again.

I would suggest a sonar, with built in GPS if you want a more accurate speed. 

Curt:
As @JackJ mentioned, boat speedos are notorious for being inaccurate  (yes)

I don't know how many times I had a small piece of debris get stuck in mine and had to clean it out. I finally gave up on it and just use the GPD on my console fishfinder to gauge speed.

I know that doesn't really answer your question about how to fix yours, but trust us... doing so will be a waste of your time and an ongoing struggle.

JackJ:
You can sometimes use a small drill bit to clean out the hole (by hand) if the dirt is stuck near the pick up notch.

Curt:

--- Quote from: JackJ on January 06, 2016, 11:46:09 AM ---You can sometimes use a small drill bit to clean out the hole (by hand) if the dirt is stuck near the pick up notch.

--- End quote ---

Had to do that at least twice. Then when it plugged up again, I tried that and it didn't work, so I left it alone  :nod:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version