BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 203
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: I'm Not a Rod Builder But...  (Read 21825 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
I'm Not a Rod Builder But...
« on: January 14, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »
I have a rod that I bought back in 2011 that I really like. It was made and sold by Acadia Sports, which is now out of business.

Last year the reel seat cracked and separated   :crying:

I'm guessing that it was my fault that it broke, probably because I over-tightened it  :nod:

I took it to a guy I know locally who builds and repairs rods when I first noticed it had cracked. He did a quick fix that got me through the rest of the season. But then it broke again on Christmas day, while I was fighting a fish. The reel actually popped off in my hand right after I set the hook  (fp)

So I decided I would try to fix it one last time before I surrender and buy a replacement rod.

I used 2-part epoxy, after taking some time to clean the area around and under the reel seat, hoping that doing this would give me the best chance of the repair holding up for a long time.

As of this morning it looks pretty good. O put the reel back on and tightened it down lightly (like I should have been doing all along) and it felt good. There was no play at all between the reel and the reel seat.

In addition to the epoxy you can see in the pic, I also did my best to get some under the threaded part of the reel seat, so it will bond it to the blank, too.

Hopefully it'll last a while when I start fishing again in the spring. If it does break again, I'll be forced to retire this great rod and buy a new one to take its place. Time will tell  (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: I'm Not a Rod Builder But...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:08:33 PM »
I bet it will hold pretty good.  The epoxy should be stronger than the plastic.   if it does break you could just put a whole new Fuji reel seat on it.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: I'm Not a Rod Builder But...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
I bet it will hold pretty good.  The epoxy should be stronger than the plastic.   if it does break you could just put a whole new Fuji reel seat on it.

I hope you're right!

Regarding replacing the reel seat, not sure if the rod would be worth it or not, since it would require stripping all of the guides off and having it all wrapped again. I could replace it for less money than that, I think.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal