Bass Fishing Forums > Reels

It's That Time Again for Reel Maintenance!

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
Time to tear the reels down and do the annual winter service

Not my favorite thing to do, but it's a necessity if I want my reels to last and work dependably.

Jig Man:
I used to do monthly take downs and cleanings.  Now I do it once or twice a year for general stuff.  Any problem and the go for a truck ride to let a reel tech fix them.

fishon-son:
curt any chance of a video.?   I have two high dollar reels that know longer cast but 20/30 ft..and would love to have them working like new....but nevertook a bait caster apart....

Curt:
@fishon-son Funny you mentioned a video. I was thinking about maybe doing that. Just not sure if I have the time right now.

I can tear the Curado and other similar Shimano reels down and put them back together with no problems. Abu Garcia reels, on the other hand, tend to be a challenge. I might try to tackle one of them in the next week or two. If I can't do it satisfactorily, I may box them up and send them back to Abu for service.

What kind of reels do you have that aren't working right?

@Jig Man I could never do each reel once per month! Doing it once per year is enough for me. And I never seem to have any problems with the reels doing it once per year  (nope)

I have a couple Black Max reels that are a bit quirky and should probably be sent back to Abu, since they're less than a year old.

Curt:
@fishon-son Here's a video from Shimano that gives some good info on basic maintenance of Shimano reels.

The first minute or more is all introduction music, video, etc.

If I find other good videos, I'll post them here for everyone  :nod:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version