BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 174
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Fuel Stabilizer?  (Read 20827 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Fuel Stabilizer?
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
Just wondering how many guys use fuel stabilizer for their outboards. And if you do use it, what brand do you use?

I've been using Startron in mine since it was new. During the first season or two, it only got added toward the end of the season, before the boat would get stored for the winter.

Now, It gets added every time I put fuel in the tank. Doing this regularly seems to have helped me quite a bit, in light of the fact that I haven't had a single fuel-related problem with my boat, even with all the ethanol problems I've seen during recent years.

I'd be interested to hear how you guys handle this part of the maintenance thing.  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
I use sta-bil and quickclean every fill up.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:26:39 PM »
STA-BIL RED FOR ME..JUST AT THE END OF THE SEASON.AROUND FIRST WEEK NOV. I ALSO JUST BURN SUPER UNLEADED GAS..  THATS IT...150 PRO XS MERC.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:55:55 AM »
I was told that Quick Kleen was all that I needed and to use it every time I put fuel in the boat.  I was also told to change the water separating fuel filter yearly and to take it off at the 6 month period, dump it, then put it back.  It's been working for 14 years so I don't plan to change anything.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »
Same here JM, and no need to use over 87 octane gas, that it would just be a waste of money. 
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
I run high octane gas for the first few weeks, after the boat has been sitting for the winter. Then it's regular for the remainder of the year.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Yep Jack.  Mine has never had anything over 87 octane in it.  When and if I have to hammer down that thing uses 1/2 gallon of fuel each minute.

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 05:28:47 PM »
I was told by my salesman on my walleye rig to run nothing but super unleaded..then when I traded that in at cabelas I was told the same thing by the sales guy..when I was talking to the guys that rigged the boat they also said to run super unleaded for your best performance..cabelas gave me a gas vocher for 25 gals.of super unleaded when I left with my boat..maybe its just something in Michigan..lol  all my friends run the same...in there boats..so I don't know ..I guess if your down south or out west maybe you don't need it....

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
Maybe it does have something to do with altitude or something that it may help, or a different brand motor.   Right on Mercury's website it states 87.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
wow    always just ran it...thanks   but I'm hooked on it...all my two stroke tools run super....

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 06:37:29 AM »
I run 91 in my small engines because that is what my small engine tech recommends.  My old boss was the best Mercury mechanic within 200 miles of here.  When I had the Optimax rigged on my boat he said 87 was what I should run so that's what I have been doing.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:26:42 AM »
One factor that a lot of people overlook is ethanol. Octane is important, but ethanol can really mess up an engine if the fuel sits for too long, especially without stabilizer.

I was talking to the tech who repaired my snowblower a couple days ago and he said that instead of relying on stabilizer for his small power equipment, he will only use ethanol based fuel if he knows the equipment won't be sitting for very long. If a piece of equipment is going to be sitting, he will drain the tank of any remaining gas and then start it up to run the remaining fuel out of the carb.

Then, he adds a small amount of non-ethanol gas to the tank and starts the engine, letting it run for a minute or so. And then he shuts it off and leaves it just like that until the next time he wants to use it. He said he never has any trouble.

Personally, I think he would still be better off to add some kind of stabilizer to the tank to prevent the gas from gumming up in the carb or fuel lines.

Offline Steve Heim

• Guppy
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
87 octane in my 08 V MAX and add Lucas ethanol treatment every time I add fuel. Anything over 87 is a waste unless you have had some serious mods done to your big motor that would need higher octane fuel.  I've had this conversation many times with a good friend of mine. He owns a Marine dealership here in Kentucky. These days all fuel has a certain amount of ethanol added to it. The problem is that the seller doesn't have to post at the pump that the fuel contains ethanol until it's over 6%. Then they are required to put up signage stating the percent of ethanol the fuel contains at the pump which it's being dispensed. I personally use Lucas fuel treatments during the season and Stabil when I know I won't be fishing in the winter months sitting in the garage for a long period of time. The main thing is do what you know works.  :D 

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
We have quite a few ethanol free gas stations around here.  If I think its going to be the last fill up for a while, I use it, but otherwise I know i'm burning through it pretty fast so I don't worry about it.
My dealer told me the same anything over 87 you were just wasting your money.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »
Interesting info regarding higher octane fuel being a waste of money. When I used to be into hot rods I used to take the engine's compression ratio into consideration. But with outboards I don't think the compression is going to be high enough to warrant high octane fuel unless it's been reworked in some serious ways.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal