BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Ned Rig?  (Read 39766 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Ned Rig?
« on: March 03, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Anybody ever fish the Ned Rig?

I'm going to be testing some prototype mushroom heads for Lure Parts Online, using the Ned Rig. Just curious to know if anyone else has fished this rig at all. It seems like it might be the ticket when the bite is tough.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Ned Rig?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »
Looks like a great way to use up broken senkos

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
I am just not sure about this, seems to me a normal shakey head would work just as well.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I am just not sure about this, seems to me a normal shakey head would work just as well.

I don't know that the head is a big deal. But the method itself is good, especially on pressured waters or under post-frontal conditions.

The new heads I'll be testing for LPO have a special keeper on them to keep the soft plastic in place. I'll be sure to leave feedback here after I've used them for a while  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
My version of the Ned is one of my go to lures.  I fish it a lot but don't use all the sissy 1/16 oz heads with itty bitty hooks that the hype is all about.  I fish with 1/8 oz head most of the time and don't go smaller than a #2 hook and a large as a 3/0.  Charlie Brewer sliders are my favorite baits instead of half a soft stick.  My s-I-l and I had a bunch of bass to 6 1/2# and several walleye using it post spawn at night  last May.  My dedicated setup is a Gloomis Bronzeback rod with a Shimano Curado reel and 8# fluro carbon line.  It also worked well this past fall but has not been a producer this winter.

Slow drag and swim twitch are the best methods for numbers for me.  Once in a while hopping works when all else fails.

So far this winter the A Rig has been way the most productive bait for me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:02:22 AM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
I'm thinking this rig is not for weedy lakes of just deeper water where the weeds don't grow....its new to me also...

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »
The prototype heads I am working with LPO on will have a bit bigger hooks. The sissy hooks that many of these heads come with would never stand up to bigger bass.  (nope)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 10:56:23 PM »
I'm thinking this rig is not for weedy lakes of just deeper water where the weeds don't grow....its new to me also...

I think you'd be able to work it through sparse weeds, but nothing heavy. A lot of that, too, would depend on whether you're fishing it on a real rod & reel or a sissy stick with wimpy line  (giggle)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
I don't think you can fish it on a "real rod and reel"  there is not enough weight.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »
I don't think you can fish it on a "real rod and reel"  there is not enough weight.

I agree if you're fishing the smallest sizes. But bumping up to a 3/8 oz. head and using 12 lb. test line might work for baitcasting gear. Obviously this takes some of the "finesse" out of the presentation. But it might present new opportunities to fish this rig in new areas where you might be afraid to fish it with lighter line.  :nod:

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
Fished on Erie this weekend, one of the days tough conditions: clear clear water, bright sun, no wind, 5' deep. I netted a 5 lb 2 0z smallie caught on a z man Ned bait 1/15 oz mushroom head 5 lb braid and leader 2 power rod. I am going to give it a try. Bait floats strait up unlike half a senko would.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »
Fished on Erie this weekend, one of the days tough conditions: clear clear water, bright sun, no wind, 5' deep. I netted a 5 lb 2 0z smallie caught on a z man Ned bait 1/15 oz mushroom head 5 lb braid and leader 2 power rod. I am going to give it a try. Bait floats strait up unlike half a senko would.

Getting the bait to float the tail straight up is definitely a big plus  :nod:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »

I don't know that the head is a big deal. But the method itself is good, especially on pressured waters or under post-frontal conditions.

Exactly, the head is not the key here, it's the technique. I've seen a number of Ned's talks, he's quite the character - lives just up the road a piece from me and I'm often on the same lake he's fishing and he's got the technique down - he better after so many years. The technique actually (according to Ned) started as a early midwest technique back in the days of the likes of Harold Ensley, Virgil Ward, and a host of others that hung out at a little tackle shop in KC. I've successfully used many different heads from a plain unpainted ball jig head to the fanciest (expensive) powder-coated mushroom with keeper - and can't tell the difference - it's again the technique of presentation. If you talk/listen to Ned, he'll talk about a lot of different baits you can use, but he seems to favor the Zinker and a WELL used one at that - he feels that the more it's used and soaked in water the better it works - he'll even stretch it and snap it multiple times to 'work it in' before he fishes it. As for rods, he uses what almost all today would throw in the trash, it's the sloppiest rod I've ever seen, and an old reel that looks like it should be in an antique show somewhere - he claims he doesn't' want to 'feel' the bait but wants to feel NOTHING on his line until he feels a fish.

Does it work - I'm sold on it, it's my go-to now, and even though Ned suggest to use no-feel rods, I've come across a bait cast rod/reel combination that is superb.

Spend a day fun-fishing it and you'll be committed to it in your next tourney.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

I agree if you're fishing the smallest sizes. But bumping up to a 3/8 oz. head and using 12 lb. test line might work for baitcasting gear. Obviously this takes some of the "finesse" out of the presentation. But it might present new opportunities to fish this rig in new areas where you might be afraid to fish it with lighter line.  :nod:

I use a St. Croix rod and an 'imported' Diawa finesse reel (it can only be bought from Japan tackle shops) as a baitcast setup and can throw a 1/10 rig as far as most can on a spinning rod, but with a whole lot more accuracy and control
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »

Spend a day fun-fishing it and you'll be committed to it in your next tourney.

OK.. convinced me with that last line!  (yes)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal