BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 177
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Crankbaits?  (Read 17744 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Crankbaits?
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »
I'm not much of a crankbait guy. I might try one now and then, but I will usually opt for several other baits, including spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, soft plastics, etc.

With that said, it's not that I never catch fish on a crankbait. It's just that I catch more fish and better quality fish on other baits.

Does anyone here fish crankbaits frequently and catch big fish on them?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Crankbaits?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:59:53 AM »
I am like you, I don't throw them much, mainly because I hate dealing with treble hooks and I am usually just fun fishing and dont want to get a hook in my hand.   I am more spinnerbait, and swim jig, and swim baits, when fishing faster moving baits.

When I do use them on the rare occasion, its usually an Academy H20 brand, they are cheap and run true right out of the box.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
Ya, I hate treble hooks too, especially when there's a net involved.

My net is rubber coated, but dealing with trebles is still a hassle.

It's funny. I know there are guys who use crankbaits all the time, as their go-to bait, and they catch big fish on them too!

I also fish a lot of lakes with weeds, so trying to rip a crankbait through the weeds isn't much fun at all  (nope)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:34:23 PM »
I use a lot of plastics .but, just love the crankbait bite....a kvd squarebill is one of the best then a deep diving lucky craft rick clunn rc3.5ddrt is the best..im not into those newer really big baits strike king and lucky craft made..the kvd 8.0 and 10.0or something like that..you'll be casting your arm off....I fish some deep water but never over 15ft for casting cranks..these baits that go 25/35 ft ect..must be for southern lakes or something out west..but not for my waters...and big 4 lb plus bass smashing your crankbait is great  I really like getting hit so hard the crank your holding for your reel comes out of your hand...that's for me is great......

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:00:34 PM »
  I really like getting hit so hard the crank your holding for your reel comes out of your hand...that's for me is great......

I have that happen a lot with spinnerbaits! I love it when that happens  (giggle)

Based on your info, I will have to give them a better try this season  :nod:

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:02 AM »
I'm not much of a crankbait guy. I might try one now and then, but I will usually opt for several other baits, including spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, soft plastics, etc.

That's the way it is with baits that people don't have confidence in no matter what type of bait. Its like the fish can tell you don't believe it will catch them so why should THEY?  (hmm)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »

That's the way it is with baits that people don't have confidence in no matter what type of bait. Its like the fish can tell you don't believe it will catch them so why should THEY?  (hmm)

Ya.. you're absolutely right. It's strange how much of a role confidence plays in catching fish on a specific bait.  :rolleyes:

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
The biggest thing I have learned with crankbaits is SLOW IT DOWN and let it bounce off of things. I use to pull the paint off of them I cranked them so fast. I mean they are reaction bite baits right? Yes and no. They mainly get bit because of a reaction but it's usually because of a sudden change in direction not because it sneaks up on them and catches them by surprise. LOL Also when I use to crank the heck out of them I would hang up and break off so much I would get made and put it down and not throw it anymore. The trick with cranking slow is you can feel it hit a log or limb and pause for a split second and the bait will bounce off and go right around. 99% of the time that's where I get bit. When I feel it hit something I prepare myself for the bite. Trees laying down in the water from the bank is the best place to pull a crank for me. Run it down each side and right down the middle. If there's a fish in there it can't resist the crank bouncing off of the tree. Square bills work the best for this but I have used both. The trick is suullooowww...... I mean like you are pulling a creature bait along the bottom slow. You can feel the bait just like you do when dragging a jig. You'll learn to feel what the bait is doing and be able to adjust your retrieve to not hang up. I've seen guys throw them in cedar and pine tree laydowns. I use a 5.4 gear on a 7' medium rod with 12lb floro.

Now, lipless? whole different story. I can hang them up in open water. LOL

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 01:42:50 PM »
The biggest thing I have learned with crankbaits is SLOW IT DOWN and let it bounce off of things. I use to pull the paint off of them I cranked them so fast. I mean they are reaction bite baits right? Yes and no. They mainly get bit because of a reaction but it's usually because of a sudden change in direction not because it sneaks up on them and catches them by surprise. LOL Also when I use to crank the heck out of them I would hang up and break off so much I would get made and put it down and not throw it anymore. The trick with cranking slow is you can feel it hit a log or limb and pause for a split second and the bait will bounce off and go right around. 99% of the time that's where I get bit. When I feel it hit something I prepare myself for the bite. Trees laying down in the water from the bank is the best place to pull a crank for me. Run it down each side and right down the middle. If there's a fish in there it can't resist the crank bouncing off of the tree. Square bills work the best for this but I have used both. The trick is suullooowww...... I mean like you are pulling a creature bait along the bottom slow. You can feel the bait just like you do when dragging a jig. You'll learn to feel what the bait is doing and be able to adjust your retrieve to not hang up. I've seen guys throw them in cedar and pine tree laydowns. I use a 5.4 gear on a 7' medium rod with 12lb floro.

Now, lipless? whole different story. I can hang them up in open water. LOL

Great info! Thanks for sharing  :nod:

Needless to say, I will be giving crankbaits a bit more attention this season  :thumbup:

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
original number 39 brown/red craw wiggle wart  not them normark replicas has caught more fish for me then any other Ive ever used, When storm stopped making them I bought every one I could find I bet I had over a 100  paid top dollar for em  then they came back.  I have so much confidence in it Ill throw that sucka all day long and I know I will go home with memories
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Egreen024

• Guppy
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
I use them a lot, my favorite is a strike king series 3, I go one size bigger on the front treble.
Another bait that has a reserved spot on my boats deck

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
I must say the wart has pulled many smallmouths from st clair for me.....I to took stock in the brown craw pattern  in both sizes...and also get them went I can..but , you pay up for the older ones....

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
the s-crank from megabass is really good also....megabass puts out some great paint jobs...but, you pay for it...

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »

Ya.. you're absolutely right. It's strange how much of a role confidence plays in catching fish on a specific bait.  :rolleyes:

Yep, confidence is a huge factor. Take a day and throw NOTHING but the bait you want to learn, and do it on a day when the bite on your favorite other is good, just to get some confidence. I've done that a few times and it works.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »

Yep, confidence is a huge factor. Take a day and throw NOTHING but the bait you want to learn, and do it on a day when the bite on your favorite other is good, just to get some confidence. I've done that a few times and it works.

It's funny how easy it is to tell others that when they want to learn a new bait and gain confidence in it. I've done it a million times. But it can be so hard to do it yourself!  (fp)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal