Bass Fishing Forums > Bass Fishing Tips & Techniques

Crankbaits?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Curt on March 30, 2016, 07:26:15 PM ---I'm not much of a crankbait guy. I might try one now and then, but I will usually opt for several other baits, including spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, soft plastics, etc.
--- End quote ---

That's the way it is with baits that people don't have confidence in no matter what type of bait. Its like the fish can tell you don't believe it will catch them so why should THEY?  (hmm)

Curt:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on May 09, 2016, 09:38:02 AM ---
That's the way it is with baits that people don't have confidence in no matter what type of bait. Its like the fish can tell you don't believe it will catch them so why should THEY?  (hmm)

--- End quote ---

Ya.. you're absolutely right. It's strange how much of a role confidence plays in catching fish on a specific bait.  :rolleyes:

transamz9:
The biggest thing I have learned with crankbaits is SLOW IT DOWN and let it bounce off of things. I use to pull the paint off of them I cranked them so fast. I mean they are reaction bite baits right? Yes and no. They mainly get bit because of a reaction but it's usually because of a sudden change in direction not because it sneaks up on them and catches them by surprise. LOL Also when I use to crank the heck out of them I would hang up and break off so much I would get made and put it down and not throw it anymore. The trick with cranking slow is you can feel it hit a log or limb and pause for a split second and the bait will bounce off and go right around. 99% of the time that's where I get bit. When I feel it hit something I prepare myself for the bite. Trees laying down in the water from the bank is the best place to pull a crank for me. Run it down each side and right down the middle. If there's a fish in there it can't resist the crank bouncing off of the tree. Square bills work the best for this but I have used both. The trick is suullooowww...... I mean like you are pulling a creature bait along the bottom slow. You can feel the bait just like you do when dragging a jig. You'll learn to feel what the bait is doing and be able to adjust your retrieve to not hang up. I've seen guys throw them in cedar and pine tree laydowns. I use a 5.4 gear on a 7' medium rod with 12lb floro.

Now, lipless? whole different story. I can hang them up in open water. LOL

Curt:

--- Quote from: transamz9 on May 09, 2016, 10:56:08 AM ---The biggest thing I have learned with crankbaits is SLOW IT DOWN and let it bounce off of things. I use to pull the paint off of them I cranked them so fast. I mean they are reaction bite baits right? Yes and no. They mainly get bit because of a reaction but it's usually because of a sudden change in direction not because it sneaks up on them and catches them by surprise. LOL Also when I use to crank the heck out of them I would hang up and break off so much I would get made and put it down and not throw it anymore. The trick with cranking slow is you can feel it hit a log or limb and pause for a split second and the bait will bounce off and go right around. 99% of the time that's where I get bit. When I feel it hit something I prepare myself for the bite. Trees laying down in the water from the bank is the best place to pull a crank for me. Run it down each side and right down the middle. If there's a fish in there it can't resist the crank bouncing off of the tree. Square bills work the best for this but I have used both. The trick is suullooowww...... I mean like you are pulling a creature bait along the bottom slow. You can feel the bait just like you do when dragging a jig. You'll learn to feel what the bait is doing and be able to adjust your retrieve to not hang up. I've seen guys throw them in cedar and pine tree laydowns. I use a 5.4 gear on a 7' medium rod with 12lb floro.

Now, lipless? whole different story. I can hang them up in open water. LOL

--- End quote ---

Great info! Thanks for sharing  :nod:

Needless to say, I will be giving crankbaits a bit more attention this season  :thumbup:

bullet20dc:
original number 39 brown/red craw wiggle wart  not them normark replicas has caught more fish for me then any other Ive ever used, When storm stopped making them I bought every one I could find I bet I had over a 100  paid top dollar for em  then they came back.  I have so much confidence in it Ill throw that sucka all day long and I know I will go home with memories

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version