Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Repairs

cracked skeg

(1/2) > >>

fishon-son:
my sons @nd boat has a cracked skeg at the bullet bout 1/2 inch long...leaks oil..he said last year he hit a log or stump late in the year...he drained and refilled the lower unit for winter..but just noticed the crack....waiting to sell this boat..we have a mig welder and gun for alum. but never done that.and every time to run to the marina it a $1000 dollars so its a home fix....I heard of alumaloy for aluminum  has anyone done anything like this..the crack is mid bullet..i see this years tag hanging on the tie down so he did change the oil in it.....we tag and date our change so we don't forget in spring what was done...that's how I did it and showed him to do this......

Curt:
Welding lower units is tricky business.

Due to the high temperatures, it requires that the lower unit be dropped from the outboard and disassembled, to prevent damage to the internals.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no shortcut for this without risking ruining something inside of the lower unit  :crying:

fishon-son:
you would think that curt ..but my friends buddy works at a local marina and said they use that alumaloy rod ...it fills in quick I guess ..just got to pull the lower and drain it..i just never used it before or worked with aluminum for welding...so idk..im just not going to give up some cash before I try and do something...if I cant get it ill drop it off I guess.....I just hate that.......

Curt:
I hope it all works out for you! Let us know how it goes  :nod:

JackJ:
Alumaloy is like solder almost, you just use a propane torch to heat the part and melt the rod onto it like you would when soldering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version