BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 173
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: first time out 2016  (Read 20856 times)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
first time out 2016
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:13:24 AM »
Finally got away from the shop and got to do a little boatin and fishing.  Went over to CT to lake lillinonah.  Well on a good day this lake sux and on a great day it sux worse but its a 12 mile lake and because it sux no one goes there. Relativily calm and protected from winds from the north so decent runs can be made on a slight chop.  Didn't get to take the Bullet tho  we had to do a shake down of the 929 Nitro barge to get ready for our annual lake oneida small mouth extraviganza   (yes)  Everything went really well she ran a decent 71 with the new talon strapped on the back. A little slower on the break over but hey its a Nitro  ( thats for you Tranz)  We did some deep water ledge fishing and managed to even catch a few keepers.  That barge never ceases to impress me.  We do very little maintenance to it, impeller, oil, plugs  and fuel treatment and every year change a few of the pump motors and this 07 Nitro still looks like the day she came off the floor. Kudos to "spinnerbait lady" she wipes it down , vacuums it and waxes it after every time we use it. (her boat)  I doubt there's a new Nitro in my future (I need the speed) but for a great boat at a decent price  its hard to beat a Z21  (thats the new model name for the 929, andZ9 )
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: first time out 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
Concur on your assessment of Lilli. Used to travel down for the Heart of Ct. In early April every year.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
@bullet20dc @Eric Low I've never fished Lilli, but have heard equally bad reports and complaints about it. I do know there are some great smallies in there, if you can nail them down.

Great info on the boat (Nitro). I hear mixed reviews of them all the time. People either love them or loathe them.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:56 PM »
Good report B, and I do notice that you take the ole Nitro barge to the big water lakes instead of the go fast Jon Boat. ;D

On a serious note.I can tell you this with my Z9. I had a full fuel tank (68 gallons), both livewells full (40 gallons), wife and two 30# Pugs, two 10' Power Poles and a load of ice with drinks and sandwich meat and the ole 9 DID NOT want to get up out of the hole. I'm thinking about getting me a power prop to put on it for times like last weekend. I rarely run over 50 anyway. I wonder how a good 23" prop would get me out of the hole and run on pad?
How did the Bullet respond to the Talon hanging off the back? Did you have to change any of your set up to get it to handle good at faster speeds? How much did it hurt your hole shot?

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »
k Tranz ill take the talon question first  i just put the dual talons on over the winter so Im not sure yet about the hole shot   I had a single on  last year and it did slow the dead stop to break over time almost a second and a half  but the incredible thing is it decreased the stop time from coming off plane to dead stop by almost 5 seconds.  Its like throwing a drift sock over the side or a chute on a really fast car. I need to experiment with the dept adj. The Bullet dont like it but I do fish out of her too so she gonna have to deal with it .  Im surprised you still having that hole shot prob  The 929 comes out so easy its stupid. Im pretty sure the 929 and your Z9 are the same hull design .  shes runing a 3 plade 26 tempest I think but top end suffers a little but she aint into fast  and its only a 225 pro XS unworked.  I think last time I saw you  you tried that prop too .  She wont let me play with it
    For yuze gize thinking of gettin talons or power poles dont get one  youre just wasting your money. That rig will spin on one and cause more proplems then what youre trying to avoid and really pee u off. Been there done that got the T shirt.  Save for 2

Curt   Im new here and most of you dont know me from squat or other boards but Tranz can attest for me to give any praise to a Nitro it has to be earned, I see and work on a lot of rigs inside and out and see short comings in most more so in some.  Nothing like the early year Nitros  Like that sayin it aint your Daddy's nitro,  They have come a long way,  Slow yep  BUT they dont carry the 70k price tag like some ,  its a very stabile fishing platform, fairly smooth when momma nature gets peed  all in all a big step up from entry level rigs with a fairly moddest price tag
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:09:01 PM by bullet20dc »
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »
Charlie, I've never had a problem with my hole shot. Under "my" normal conditions it gets up pretty dang good for a heavy boat. You may be thinking about the cavitation problem I had. Yeah, I've worked through that for the most part. I dropped my plate a 1/4" and have gotten use to when it's going to do it and can feather it to bite. It's when I'm loaded for bear is when it's slow gettin' up.

The problem I had/have to where I was trying different props  is chine. I have yet to try a prop that makes any difference and really don't care about it anymore. My factory prop is a 26 Tempest Plus and the last time I ran a WOT run was before I added the Power Poles. I was able to drive it to 75 GPS but got tired of fighting it so I called it good. 75 from what I see is pretty dang fast for a Z9 loaded to fish. I've been to 72 with the Power Poles but I was not trying to push it. She was running good and flat with no chine.

heck, most of the time now I'm running 30-40 MPH like an old gramps.

As far as the newest boats out for Nitro, I've been looking and looking hard. At one point this winter I was looking for a boat and was ready to trade to get the new back. I've sat in a Z21 and a Z20 and they are comfy and the seats feel great. I don't like the fact they have shallowed up the rod boxes and storage compartments. With the Z21 being 6 inches longer than my 9 it don't feel any bigger so right now I just don't see spending the money to upgrade to a boat that really ain't much different than mine and from what I've seen in the numbers it's slower too. I like the Z20 size but I hate the single center storage compartment. There's no way I could get my stuff in that and be organized.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 05:46:08 PM »
so u ended up with the same prop as Liz with a heavy load go 25 just for playin and a heavy cup. if you wanna try props ill send ya anything ya want to try  u pay freight thats it.
have ya gone the bravo route.  What was thay guys name that did our props on the old board  I know he went out of business but his brain still works he should be able to help with yer problem  He knew his sh----t stuff
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
All this talk about Talons and Poles brings up a point I never even thought of. I never even considered that they might affect the performance of the boat.

Can you guys shed some light on this? I don't have either, a Pole or a Talon, but would be interested in hearing a little more about performance with them on the back.

And, by the way, if you guys know anyone else would make a good addition here, please invite them!  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »
Curt they affect the hole shot tremendously if the setup is off by as little as an inch.  Its like taking off with 5 gallon buckest dragging behind.  if theyre too deep they will drag and most newbies tend to install them too deep so they can get max depth anchoring but theres a price.  another factor is their weight. My talons weight around 40lbs each and the bracket is another 15 so thats 110lbs hanging 20 inches behind my transom. Simple math basics here 110 lbs on a 2 foot lever with a pivot point being the transom  thats like having a linebacker sittin on the motor when u try and take off or come to a stop.  Some rigs with a high free board like a Nitro or Skeeter dont have much of a problem but Lighter gofast rigs like my Bullet or allison or Gamblers  dont cotton to all the extra weight back there. That will afect the trim attitude you can achieve with different props.  Now as far as Power poles you also have the pumps to deal with   Granted they dont weigh much but the take up as much room as a grp 27 battery so if u have 2 you need room for 2 more pumps  The main reason I went with Talons  I dont have the room
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:38:21 PM »
I think there not for me ..guys I know have them really don't use them ....to me I'm on the go and never stop..if I'm frog fishing I let the pads hold me .if I need to stop...a lot of money......if your running a evinrude or Johnson I have a nice stainless raker for sale....

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »
@bullet20dc Thanks for the info. Stuff I had definitely never thought of before.  :thumbup:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal