BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 162
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Been Trying Some New Stuff  (Read 21365 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Been Trying Some New Stuff
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
OK.. so now that the tourney is over, I can share what it was that I was trying out last week that produced so well for me  :nod:

I was using two baits from Primary Tackle ( @Midsouthbass ). One is called a Shimmer Swimmer and the other is the 5" Swim Minnow.

http://www.primarytackle.com/store/p186/5%22_Swim_Minnow_10pk.html

http://www.primarytackle.com/store/p219/Shimmer_Swimmer.html

I found both of these baits last year. The 5 inch Swim Minnows make awesome trailers for bladed jigs. They also work well as standalone swimbaits.

The Shimmer Swimmer is basically a tweaked version of an underspin. But the blade is attached to a short wire arm, instead of just a stubby little eye.

What I found, though, was that by rigging them on the Shimmer Swimmer, they give the fish something that they haven't seen much of (if at all). Bingo! Great fish catcher  (giggle)

And the design also allows weedless rigging, so it comes through just about anything. Oh, and the hook is incredibly strong, so there's no fear whatsoever about it bending on a bog bass.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:42:55 AM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
those Shimmer Swimmer hooks are cool, I'm gonna get me some of dat
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
those Shimmer Swimmer hooks are cool, I'm gonna get me some of dat

They are quite cool!

One thing... there are the standard Shimmer Swimmers and then there are the HD versions. I have used both and I like the standard version better. They're easier to rig, using the screw lock setup. The HD version requires you to punch a hole in the bottom of the swimbait head, so the eye of the hook can then protrude from the nose of the bait. That setup works, but the screw lock is definitely much easier and doesn't tear up the nose of the bait as badly.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

They are quite cool!

One thing... there are the standard Shimmer Swimmers and then there are the HD versions. I have used both and I like the standard version better. They're easier to rig, using the screw lock setup. The HD version requires you to punch a hole in the bottom of the swimbait head, so the eye of the hook can then protrude from the nose of the bait. That setup works, but the screw lock is definitely much easier and doesn't tear up the nose of the bait as badly.

Great tip, I've used reg waited swim bait hooks a lot, and yea they are tough to rig, the screw works better most of the time, and I'll likely try both - there are times when one may be better
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
can I argue with you curt??????  I just want to say....people think like people  bass don't think like people  bass think like bass..your bait looks good to me and most people bassfisherman. but to a bass it looks like a easy meal .not a meal that it never seen..just a easy meal..bass are opportunist  they will hit or eat anything that comes into the strike zone for that moment.....the saying from the pros use to be throw them something there never seen because there use to the regular baits we throw and wont hit them...well if that was the case they would never eat bluegill because they see them all the time?   right ...as fisherman we all know that bluegill is the number one meal ticket on a basses mind for a meal...and all manufactures want there baits to look like what they see in there neighborhood...so I'm thinking your bait looks more like a school of minnows so you see to a bass its minnows...lets eat......just my thought......

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »
can I argue with you curt??????  I just want to say....people think like people  bass don't think like people  bass think like bass..your bait looks good to me and most people bassfisherman. but to a bass it looks like a easy meal .not a meal that it never seen..just a easy meal..bass are opportunist  they will hit or eat anything that comes into the strike zone for that moment.....the saying from the pros use to be throw them something there never seen because there use to the regular baits we throw and wont hit them...well if that was the case they would never eat bluegill because they see them all the time?   right ...as fisherman we all know that bluegill is the number one meal ticket on a basses mind for a meal...and all manufactures want there baits to look like what they see in there neighborhood...so I'm thinking your bait looks more like a school of minnows so you see to a bass its minnows...lets eat......just my thought......

I hear where you're coming from. But the premise behind that saying is that bass have a rudimentary memory capability, or at least an instinct that tells them if they have tried to eat something in the past that caused them to get yanked out of the water.

So even though they have eaten hundreds of bluegills, those bluegills have never stuck them in the mouth and jerked them from their habitat. They just get swallowed and become food.

Some tests over the years have shown that many bass will not hit something repeatedly if they have been hooked by it in the past. This obviously varies from bass to bass, but in highly pressured lakes, bass will eventually become gun shy from getting caught repeatedly.

One exception to this might be baits that are very natural looking or subtle in their presentation.

I wrote a lengthy article about this many years ago. It was published in The Fisherman - New England Edition close to 20 years ago.

You can read it here: http://northeastbass.com/bass-fishing-articles/finesse-bass-fishing

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »
heres something ..and I'm not trying to bunch holes in anything ..but a few yrs back I was bass fishing my lake and took the same bass on the same bait 3 different times within a 2 wk span.......the bass had a cut lip and a broken jaw from someone else hooking it...and I took that same bass within 100ft of the first time I hooked it....we as people think we think like fish ..we will buy a better looking bait that really isn't needed but we are programed to do so...and our manufactures know this...to compare baits  megabass to strike king..one at the top and one at the bottom on looks  but the guy on the bottom out sells the top guy because of pricing 10 to 1 ..I would bet...I use both baits and have a lot of both..just thinking its the sales pitch..going back to the never seen bait?    I will read you article tonight....

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
nice read.......I guess my fish wasn't the smartest fish in the lake.!!!!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
heres something ..and I'm not trying to bunch holes in anything ..but a few yrs back I was bass fishing my lake and took the same bass on the same bait 3 different times within a 2 wk span.......the bass had a cut lip and a broken jaw from someone else hooking it...and I took that same bass within 100ft of the first time I hooked it....we as people think we think like fish ..we will buy a better looking bait that really isn't needed but we are programed to do so...and our manufactures know this...to compare baits  megabass to strike king..one at the top and one at the bottom on looks  but the guy on the bottom out sells the top guy because of pricing 10 to 1 ..I would bet...I use both baits and have a lot of both..just thinking its the sales pitch..going back to the never seen bait?    I will read you article tonight....

Believe me, I agree with you on most of this when it comes to bass being caught on the same lure. I know it does happen. But a lot of that is about what kind of clues the lures give as to being artificial.

Soft plastic baits give very few clues as to their "fakeness", if that's really a word. Spinnerbaits, on the other hand, have a lot to give them away as being fake. Again, not every bass will only eat a spinnerbait once and never eat another one in their lifetime, but the more natural or subtle a bait is, the better chances it has of fooling the same bass multiple times  ;)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal