BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 187
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Recessed Trolling Motor Pedal Tray Installation - Step by Step  (Read 25589 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Here is a series of photos and the steps I took to install my new recessed trolling motor pedal tray.

The tray I bought was suggested by @Nightmare

It's a welded aluminum tray that's powder coated. It's very rigid and the coating is high quality, so it doesn't scratch easily. Much better than a stamped steel tray  (yes)

I talked with @Mitz before I did the installation, since he did his a few years back and knew how it might go, since his boat also has a 100% aluminum deck. He gave me a few good tips, including adding rivets to the deck wherever a support had been cut, in order to keep the deck from creaking when stepped on.  :thumbup:

So, I unscrewed my foot pedal from the deck and placed the tray where the pedal was mounted. I used a screwdriver to gently trace the outline of the tray where it should be mounted. You can probably see that outline in the carpet in this pic if you look closely. (I had put the pedal back in place so I could get a "before" pic)

Next, I laid down several pieces of masking tape so I could use it to draw the layout of the tray and do measurements and markings on.

I measured across the deck and found the center line and marked that on the tape, in the front and the back. Then I laid the tray upside down on the tape and traced the outer dimensions onto the tape. Then I measured in from that outside line 1 inch (the size of the flange on the tray) and used a metal yardstick to draw the inner dimensions of the tray.

Then I drilled a pilot hole in the bottom right corner so I could start the cut there.

I got about 1/3 of the way through the cut and my 20 year old jigsaw started smoking. Oops!  (fp)  (giggle)

Off to Wal-Mart to buy a new one.

Finished the cut. The pic below was taken before the entire cut was finished. I still needed to remove another 4 inches or so from the bottom end of the hole. You can still see the lines on the tape where I needed to cut more out.

Once the hole was finished being cut, I tried dropping the tray into place. It was a bit too snug in a couple places, so I removed it and used a combination of a hand file and a rotary sander to clean the hole up a bit to make it an almost perfect fit  :nod:

Before setting the tray in place for the last time, I checked the deck for rigidity where supports had been cut. No flex at all. Good!  :thumbup:

As I mentioned above, I also put pop rivets in a few places close to the edge of the hole, where aluminum decking was laying on top of a support but not necessarily secured as well I thought it should be. This was a suggestion made by @Mitz Thanks Mitz! o/

Then I set the tray in place and drilled the 10 holes for the screws. #8 stainless screws were used to fasten the tray to the deck securely.

The foot pedal was then placed into the tray and I marked the 3 holes in the mount so I could drill holes in the bottom of the tray for mounting screws to hold the pedal in place when crossing lakes on rough days.

I removed the pedal, drilled 3 holes and put the pedal back in place. The screws were then put in place to lock the pedal into the tray.

Then I finished with the cleanup, put my bow Humminbird unit back in place and stowed the trolling motor.

Mission accomplished!

A couple side notes: Cleanup wasn't bad, considering I had metal shavings everywhere from cutting the aluminum deck. A shop vac made quick work of it.

Despite being pretty nervous about cutting a gaping hole in my front deck, it went well and there were no problems at all, aside from the dead jigsaw  (giggle)

I got to try it out Saturday for my club tourney. What a huge difference it made. No backache!

I have to admit, though, that I found myself reaching my leg out to step on the pedal and almost missing it a few times because I was so used to having that pedal sticking way up on the deck. I'm sure it would have made for some comedic video if someone happened to catch it  (giggle)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:04:41 PM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Recessed Trolling Motor Pedal Tray Installation - Step by Step
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »
Good work Curt.  It looks professionally installed.  I have had one for several years.  It really makes a difference.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
@Jig Man Thanks! I saw a big difference in how I felt when I got done with my tourney on Saturday.  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:01:34 AM »
Great job  Looks perfect.    A little diff with a fiberglass deck.  That crap goes everywhere when u cut it.  Wear a mask.  When the water gets to rockin and rollin is where you're gonna really appreciate that insert. 
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
@bullet20dc Thanks. Appreciate the compliments  :nod:

Having two feet firmly planted, instead of holding one leg up on the pedal, is way more comfortable, even on calm water. But I'm sure that when it's rough, it'll make even more difference  :thumbup:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal