BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 258
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Gas gas gas  (Read 17888 times)

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 1
  • My Biggest Bass: 8.5 lbs
Gas gas gas
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:23:59 PM »
I have a 06 192 super pro. I am having problems with gas coming out of the air vent as well as the fill cap when I Am trailering it. I have made sure that there are no dips in the vent line and it is still coming out. It has now started damageing my carpet. Any ideas
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Gas gas gas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
Just a guess on my part, but is there a problem that's not allowing the vent to work properly? This could cause too much pressure in the tank, possibly leading to a problem such as yours.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »
When I got it they had the hose that runs the Vent on the top inside on the driver side was disconnected. They had another hose ran with a man maid vent that was laying down in the bottom of the boat and was pouring gas in the bottom of the boat. I disconnected it and hooked the other up. The gas is now coming out the vent as well as the full cap. I am adding two pictures. The passenger side has a T fitting and one side is capped off so I don't know if something was removed or what.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »
A previous boat I had used a similar tank from what yours appears, it was a single tank but had a low space in the middle, and the two top portions each had a vent that had a cross-over hose between the two and then the other side of the T went to the hull vent, this allowed pressure in the far side to relieve thru the cross-over hose to the vent when the tank was full and boat tipped sideways or sloshed side-to-side. Maybe missing the cross-over hose, can't tell from the pics
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »
Ok. That's what I was thinking. Along with the vent that is on the full cap may be stopped up as well.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Sounds like a problem that was experienced by the previous owner. If you have his contact info, give him a call and see if he can fill you in on why he changed the vents for the tank. You may also want to try talking to a dealer or technician to see if they might be able to give you some insight.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
Ok. My boat had a hose that ran from one side of the tank to the other and it has been disconnected. How important is that hose and could that be my problem.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »
It is important, it allows a full tank to vent each side when under pressure from thermal expansion or slosh.

Find a dealer that might have a similar year/make boat on the lot and look at it's configuration - hopefully it's not been disturbed.

Generally, the vent should exit the hull higher than the top level of the tank sufficient that acceleration can't force fuel to exit, the cap should (in most cases) not have a vent, otherwise it's possible to establish a siphon effect (not likely if the vent is installed correct).

The manufacturer probably did some testing so getting it back to original is the best approach. As late a model year as yours, it was likely tested to meet NMMA certification which most all manufacturers undergo now.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
K thanks. I just got back from a dealer. He told me that the hose should be hooked back up. The air vent that is on the driver side is apparently after market. The gas cap thing has a smaller hose going to it. It's just a lip on top not a screw cap. 
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
K thanks. I just got back from a dealer. He told me that the hose should be hooked back up. The air vent that is on the driver side is apparently after market. The gas cap thing has a smaller hose going to it. It's just a lip on top not a screw cap. 

Sounds like someone did some jury rigging. Man I hate that!  :thumbdown:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
yea, sometimes the manufacturers do get it right
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
yea, sometimes the manufacturers do get it right

(giggle)

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
Yep. If some people would just keep their fingers off of things.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »
2 things 1 is common and the other not so much
1 my bullet was so bad to fill I actually disconnected the fill hose from the tank and put it directly into the tank.   the vent had a slight dip in it when i shut the lid and from running I would get fuel sloshed up in there and block the venting process. i ran a new vent line slightly longer to go around the part that was making it dip and tied it up.  all is good now

2.  a wierd one but had a customer that had the problem and his tank was under the seat a triton so my trick was not an option.  I had to look into it  I disconnected both ends and blew air and out comes  mud dobber nest parts.  He hadnt used the boat in a while and the line was totally blocked   just something to look at. Same goes for the motor pisser  if it isnt pissin water try a wire up into the hose as far as it will go   They have a habit of plugging that up too up here.  So before u jump into water pump or tstats grab a wire and shove it.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »
READ SLOW so that you don't get lost lol. Here's where I'm at. The line going from the full cap to the tank had a slight dip in it. There is a vent line ran from the factory that runs from the top of the tank on the passenger side to the full cap as well. On the driver side of the tank there is a line running to the motor then there was one that was supposed to run from the tank over to the vent hose on the passenger side. Someone disconnected that hose and capped it off on the passenger side. They ran it from the driver side and up to the top I side lip of the boat and installed a baffled air vent. So now I'm going to disconnect that vent completely. I'm going to connect the hose on the driver side into the T fitting on the passenger side and see how this works. I'm also going to shorten the full hose cause the reason for all this nonsense was probably because they had a hard time filling.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:24:41 PM by Hjones »
Positive Mental Attitude

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator