BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: About those no maintenance hubs  (Read 11192 times)

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
About those no maintenance hubs
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Got home frome Florida in early April and found a wheel hanging on by a thread.  Had a bunch of tournaments coming so didn't fight hard to get warranty.  Flash forward a few weeks and I am in Buffalo walking back to my rig and see a wheel GONE! Not sure how long it had been but GONE. This one on the rear axel with brakes. We jack it up and tie it up best we could with a bow line.....enough to get to Lowe's and get a 3500lb ratchet strap. Mind you I am 500 miles frome home. Had some more time before tournament season resumed this time so go for warranty.  Today, I 3 wheeled it up to Great Pond for a Tribute to Service event that a volunteer for and had committed to. (If it can go 500 miles what's another 200. ) Anyway I get there......event is canceled. 3 footers crashing on the ramp. Arggg! Hadn't fished in a month. Anyway, got the call my axel was approved .....all they need was serial number of the axel. On the bottom middle plate riveted on gator hide covered. I am laying in wet dirt....I floated the boat trying to get at the number. Laying flat on my back bottom of axel literally inches from my eyeballs and covered in gatorehyde no serial to be seen. Arggg if only the rest of the trailer so well built! Anyway, put the boat back on the trailer and stop by the marina to have a tech get the numbers.  Takes him better than a half hour with tools!  Any way to make a long story shorter  I am eventually getting a new axel hubs and they are replacing the lost tire and wheel. Eventually. Good thing my tournament partner for the next several has a ride too and there is always that 3 wheel thing lol. At what point am I pushing my luck? 2k is probably worth the wait.
Now you know why a lot of the pros have more than one boat....need 2 or 3 of everything.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: About those no maintenance hubs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:12:53 PM »
Wow  :o :o

Can't believe you actually lost a wheel  (fp)

Good thing you have a tandem axle trailer or it could have been disastrous.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
im guessing you don't grease your hubs or its the oil bath hub and you don't change the oil.?

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:30:04 PM »
Vault oil bath hubs.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:17:33 AM »
im guessing you don't grease your hubs or its the oil bath hub and you don't change the oil.?

The trailer mentioned is not very old, so this should never have happened at all  (nope)

Clearly a defect in workmanship or materials.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
 oil seal  leaks and you r done  she wont run more then 5 miles on an empty oil hub   but Grease gets ya home
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:14:38 AM »
Been there done that last year. Luckily not nearly that far from home. Got out to pay for the launch fee and the smell hit me....burnt grease smell...  Its 4 in the morning and dark. Glanced around and didnt really see anything obvious. Launched the boat and pulled back up and uh oh!  All of a sudden Im running on 3 wheels. I scan the water and see my tire and wheel and hub floating. Lol. Grab all that and put it in the back of the truck. Already there to fish and theres nothing I can do about it. Rachet strap that side up and after the tourney limped it home very slowly. Got both new axles, hubs and all the next week. And these were plain jane grease hubs. Bearing just had a come apart.
Put me out a little over 600$ I think it was but I shouldnt have any more trouble for a while now.... Hopefully
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 09:24:57 AM »
I scan the water and see my tire and wheel and hub floating. Lol.

(giggle)

Now that's a sight nobody wants to see. Probably the only thing worse would be to see your tire pass you on the road  (fp)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »
GO GREASE GREASE IS GOOD YAH GREASE
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
I followed the directions. "Do nothing"

www.ufpnet.com › pdfs › vault brochure

Back on 4 wheels again. Yeah!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 08:25:11 AM »
GO GREASE GREASE IS GOOD YAH GREASE

(giggle)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal