BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 188
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How many points?  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
How many points?
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »
I'm having the point 1 gps antenna put on my new boat.  The dealer says use 2 instead of 1.  Anyone have any ideas on this.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: How many points?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
Kinda makes a difference what you want to do, I think.

It's the fastest refresh rate option but that's not gonna make a lot of difference up front cause the troller ain't gonna outrun any of the rates so the internal antenna is good there. For marking a spot as accurately as possible, your bow unit with internal antenna is gonna be darn close over top of the front transducer and what I mark from up front usually relates to something I'm marking on the bottom so again,  I don't see needing an external for that.

With the console unit, the refresh rate might make a difference for the go-fast rigs. An external can be placed at least 5 feet closer the the rear transducer that the console but my understanding is the standard for that placement is up behind the driver seat on the rear deck because of distance recommended from magnetic mass, both metallic and electrical (engine and charging system).

It will have to be calibrated once installed.

I don't see advantage for 2 of 'em but that's according to my use. Your mileage may vary. Refresh is main plus but I'm not aware of accuracy advantage.
 (shrug)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:19:44 AM by Nightmare »

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
That is my thinking but the dealer who is doing all of the install says he runs it this way and it is just plain better.  I'm not sure he is accurate with his thinking but surely it won't make anything worse and he is giving me all of the electronics at a way better price than I can buy them anywhere else.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »
You might be getting a good price (nothing wrong with that) but you're the one gonna have to keep 'em playing well with the whole system. Still gonna cost 2x in the pucks plus additional nmea components.

No expert here - don't have the external pucks myself. Doesn't fit my own bang for the buck requirements, is all.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:33:59 AM by Nightmare »

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »
Gimick envy is all it is.  Its new everybody has it I gotta have it.    If You need to know where a waypoint is to the millimeter  then Ya got issues.   I never found that the built in wasn't good enough in accuraccy to find what I was looking for .   You prob are gettin a great deal but its still money going the wrong way from your wallet
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
I don't know much about this setup, but I do know that everyone wants your money and will go to great lengths to make you think you need something, in order to get you to surrender your money to them.

With that said, my guess is that you don't need 2 of them.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal