BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 184
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: I Saw This. It Was Totally Disgusting  (Read 9263 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
I Saw This. It Was Totally Disgusting
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
I had a guide trip on a local lake in RI on Saturday night. This lake is small, at only 220 acres. But the bass population has always been healthy, due to a decent population of alewives for forage.

As I was on my way to the lake, my client sent me a text message to let me know that he had gotten there early and found that the launch area was busy/packed with other boats and trailers.

I arrived 10 minutes later to find the parking lot full, as a club was getting ready to start a tourney. I spoke with them briefly and asked who they were. They told me the club was called IBA (Independent Bass Anglers).

I then asked them about their tourney... how many anglers, what time they were fishing until, etc. They told me they were expecting up to 30 anglers (15 boats) and were fishing from 5 PM until 10 PM.

I was a bit disgusted that they would try to pack 15 boats on this little lake, let alone jam the parking lot with that many trucks and trailers.

Thankfully, they had less than their expected 15 boats. But they managed to do some serious damage to the fishery while they were there.

Apparently, many of the boats participating didn't have suitable livewells, so they used stringers and un-aerated coolers to hold their fish. Keep in mind that the water temp was up over 80 degrees.  >:(

At one point I witnessed an angler remove a bass from a cooler and place it in a small trout net and then place the net in the water, apparently in an effort to keep the bass alive. After moving it around in the water for a minute or so, he then turned his trolling motor on and moved the boat forward, with the net (and bass in it) still hanging in the water.  (fp)

When my guide trip was over at 1 AM, I pulled in to the launch to find a bunch of dead bass floating around the area (surprise, surprise). I also spoke with another angler the next morning who was also there and witnessed the bass being kept on stringers. And he had spoken with a friend of his who was also there, who witnessed a lot of dead bass at the launch immediately after their weigh-in.

I was so disgusted when I saw the dead fish. But I wasn't surprised at all.

DEM (Department of Environmental Management) has been contacted and this club has been reported by more than one person. They are apparently investigating this incident. They may lose their tournament permit privileges in RI. Time will tell.

Either way, these people need to learn how to properly handle bass, or they need to get out of tournament fishing.

Losing 30 adult bass in a fishery so small is inexcusable and detrimental.  :crying:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: I Saw This. It Was Totally Disgusting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
Yeah that's pretty nuts. 

My club now and my previous require all boats to be fitted with a recirculating live well.  The drop in type recirculator is fine if your boat does not have a built in one.

I am happy to say we have not had one dead fish weighed in yet this year.  I hang around a bit to make sure, as it is illegal to put a dead fish back in the water here, and I would not want my club to get a bad name due to it.

I do know fish die for various reasons, and when it happens someone will usually take them home.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »
my local lake here in michigan just had the same thing happen...temps to warm   bass cooked in live wells...i just asked a question about live well chillers  ..?  seams like a thing to have ..just to keep the bass healthy and alive....to bad there isnt one out yet...

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »
I always keep water filled frozen gatoraid bottles in my cooler and add them throughout the day to keep the water temp down.  And I add Rejuvenate first thing.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:03:12 PM »
There are a number of creative ways to cool the livewell water. As @JackJ mentioned, you can use frozen bottles of water, Gatorade or whatever else you want to freeze in a bottle. The advantage of using frozen bottles is that no fluid actually mixes with the livewell water. Most commercial ice contains chlorine, which isn't good for the fish.

Also, caution has to be used when chilling livewell water so as not to make it too cool. Too much of a temperature difference between the lake and the livewell can cause thermal shock to the bass in some cases.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline The dude

• Guppy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »
This is some great info. Until now i assumed that the recirculation feature kept fresh water in the tank from the lake. Iv never had a fish die. But i would like to read and educate myself on this. But your right this dose make me sick. Clubs like this have no business holding tournaments. I guess  "independent" means do what we want. Conservation of the sport and responsibility are 99%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »
Clubs like this have no business holding tournaments.

Exactly. We're hoping that the powers that be will do more than just "contact them". They seriously need to lose their tournament permit privileges.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
I like the big bottle of water frozen  thinking a milk jug 3/4 the way   just to see if that will work. I'm on a well so the water wont be a issue...you city boys might not want to try it...lol   cooler temps are coming so maybe not till next hot spell...

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »
Smaller bottles work better as you can keep more of them in your cooler, and just add them throughout the day as needed.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
Smaller bottles work better as you can keep more of them in your cooler, and just add them throughout the day as needed.

Smaller bottles are definitely the better way to go. As Jack said, you can store more of them. But they also take up less room in the livewell.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
Smaller solid items to be sloshin around bangin into the fish also

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »
Smaller solid items to be sloshin around bangin into the fish also
Ya, I hear ya there. I prefer not to put anything at all in the livewell and just let the pumps do their job. I never lose fish due to lack of oxygen in my livewells.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal