BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 187
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Gardner Lake - Salem  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Gardner Lake - Salem
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »
Time fished: 10 PM - 6 AM
Water Temps: 78-79
Air Temp: 68
Wind: 10-12 MPH SSW
Depth: 3 - 8 FOW
Baits: 1/2 oz. homemade spinnerbait

I went into this tourney armed only with past knowledge of the lake, since I didn't get to pre-fish it the week leading up to the tourney date.

I had planned on starting out in a specific area where have always started any tournament there over the last 20+ years. But as we all headed out, there were two other boats headed in that same general direction, so I made a last minute change and headed to a small cove where I have caught a few decent fish over the years.

I fished that cove pretty thoroughly with no bites or signs of life at all. At that point, I decided to just cover water and see what I could find.

I worked my way down a shoreline, chucking a spinnerbait and buzzbait, alternating between fishing the shoreline and casting to the outside and working the spinnerbait in 4-6 FOW.

Before long I had my first bite and landed a small keeper Smallmouth. Whew.. got rid of the skunk!  (yes)

I then worked my way into another cove where I have had good success in the past, but had no takers there at all. So I kept moving.

About 10-15 minutes later, I started seeing some weeds in 4-8 FOW so I started working them really thoroughly with the spinnerbait, letting it flutter down into them and then slow rolling it through them. Bingo! In the next 20 minutes I landed 4 more keeper bass to give me my limit.

All of the fish were small, under 2 lbs. But at least I had a base to work from now, while I looked for some bigger nites.

Over the course of the rest of the night, I covered a LOT of water, picking up a keeper here and there, as well as some shorts. All but one of those bass took the spinnerbait. But one was caught on a Texas rigged 4 inch stick worm, fished with a 1/16 oz. bullet weight.

As daylight approached, I went back to the second cove that I had fished in the first hour of the tourney and threw a buzzbait and hollow body frog, hoping to land a good quality bass from around some of the shallow weeds. It paid off with the 2.39 lb. fish, which hit the buzzbait.

I also went out and hit a large hump in open water, which tops out at about 7-8 feet, with 18-20 FOW around it. Nothing. Not a single fish.

On a final note, I had a ton of short strikes on the spinnerbait, mostly as I let it flutter down into the 6-8 foot deep water. I had so many of them that I decided to add a trailer hook to my spinnerbait, which I do only about .01 % of the time!

I ended up landing a couple fish that were caught on the trailer hook, but I still had a ton of short strikes that I was unable to hook, which leads me to believe that it was either panfish nipping at the bait or small bass slapping at it.

I have to admit that I was shocked when I won and took lunker with that bag of fish. But I'll take the win either way!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal