BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 262
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Need rod advice lol  (Read 13377 times)

Offline The dude

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Need rod advice lol
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
Im gonna try to keep this short lol. Im a kinda budget fisherman. But im upping my game lately. Currently i own and use.
 Rod/reel
1.Berkley lightning 7'mh/ garcia 550 plus with braid for carolina rig.
2.Berkley lightning 7'mh/ garcia blackmax 12lb flouro for t rigs and such.

These are my 2 primarys that i use the most for specific fishing techniques they are also only a few survivors of the great theft of 2011 (about $2500 in rods and reels). So to keep fishing i had picked up some other budget minded stuff along the way to get me back on the water.

So recently i had purchased a lews lfs 6.8:1 to use for plastics t rigs and jigs.
So im wondering if a new rod is in the future. I'll most likely  put it on the 7mh lightning rod to start with until i get something better for it.
Also i have and old quantum IR3 round reel im refreshing with new bearings clean and polish i plan to use for cranking. ( i may post the process on a separate thread with pictures). And i may use it on the lightning rod.
I guess what im looking for is opinions on what reel to buy a rod for. Budget cranking rod? Or middle of the road worm rod?

Sorry if i opened a can of worms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Need rod advice lol
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
Without knowing how much you want to spend, I assume not much from your post, so if you are just looking for a cheap decent rod to use I would get an All Star Classic from Academy for $39.99.    Also my local dealer has the Halo Daylight Series for $39 also which I really like.  But not sure how much they would be in your area.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline The dude

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »
I honestly have had good luck with the berkley stuff. But i wouldn't mind something a little more sensative to go with the lews. As far as budget id like to stay in the relm of berkley price but im open to anything. Where i travel for work i use hotel points for gift cards lol.
Im also wonderi g if i should drop to a med from med heavy for worms and tubes and jigs

Offline The dude

• Guppy
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 11:30:53 AM »
I guess what im asking is what to look for when shopping for a rod. And i had an allstar it was with the lot that was stolen.:(

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
http://www.ffo-tackle.com/

Since you like Berkley, this will especially be of interest. I've got a 90-95% success rate with this outfit. A little hit n miss cause availability is what it is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:04:46 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
I have All Star, Berkley, Abu Garcia and maybe a couple other brands.

The All Stars are good rods, but the rating is usually off a bit. Their medium rods are usually closer to MH. They also aren't the most sensitive rods around, but not bad for the money.

I've had good success with the Abu Garcia Vengeance rods. Again, not the most sensitive rods, but they work great for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, bladed jigs (Chatterbaits) and heavier soft plastics, like Beavers, etc. And they're very reasonably priced, especially if you buy a Black Max combo.

Berkley rods are tough to beat for the price you pay for them. So if you like their rods, by all means stick with them.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline The dude

• Guppy
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »
I have 6'6" black max mh. Got the combo on line at acedemy for 30 bucks a few years ago. Think it was a mistake a few hours after i placed the order the price went back up. I have the bmax reel on the 7' berkley now but ill probably put the lews on it. And buy a cranking rod for the old iron once im done with the overhual.

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
i just picked up a 3 lews carbonfire for $32.99 at dicks   they like to blow stuff out its a $80 reel for 50% off plus my dicks gift certificate they send in the mail to keep me coming back......heck im fishing that with megabass cranks at half price to.....got to love that place...i have better reels also but these fish great..cast a mile also....i think between myself , son and his friends there all gone from 3 stores..i sell my older reels on ebay every 3 to 4 yrs.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
Hands down, the best cranking and spinnerbait rod for the money. I have 4 of them. Three of them I have Pro Qualifiers on and one I have Johnny Morris Carbonlite on. I use the one with the Carbonlite for jerk baits and walk the dog baits because it weighs practically nothing. All of them are 7' Medium action and I don't know of one fish I've lost since I started using them. They have enough backbone to set the hook on a spinnerbait but have enough flex to keep them crazy fish hooked up when they go airborne. (yes)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Cherrywood-Spinning-Rod/23608382

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Hands down, the best cranking and spinnerbait rod for the money. I have 4 of them. Three of them I have Pro Qualifiers on and one I have Johnny Morris Carbonlite on. I use the one with the Carbonlite for jerk baits and walk the dog baits because it weighs practically nothing. All of them are 7' Medium action and I don't know of one fish I've lost since I started using them. They have enough backbone to set the hook on a spinnerbait but have enough flex to keep them crazy fish hooked up when they go airborne. (yes)

I have a Berkley Cherrywood casting rod that I use for flipping tubes. It's got a lot of flex, which is perfect for fishing 4 and 5 inch tubes with excellent casting accuracy. It isn't really beefy enough to fish it in very heavy cover, but it does the job I need it to do and does it well. And for a sub $20 rod, who can complain?  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline The dude

• Guppy
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:51:12 PM »
Well today i got my new bearings in the old quantum ir3. I used fast eddy bearings instead of boca. The bearings themself were a buck a piece so i gave em a try. Iv never used boca so i cant compare between the two. But i will say compared to the 15 or so year old bearings that i replaced, I am more than pleased. So I put it on the old lightning and started casting down the street lol. The first couple of cast the sinkers wouldn't even pull line out hanging there with the break backed all the way off. After about the 4th cast she was a singing.
So now having said all that let me get back on topic. With the new found youth of this old real. I decided to reward it with its very own rod. Drum roll please. After considering all the options and from past experience with the brand and then it seems as if everyone i talk to loves there cherrywoods. So i picked one up today and gotta say its well worth the 20 bucks. And perfect for a 15 year old reel. Tommorow morning in going out to give this set up a real world trial. Wish me luck!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »
Very cool with the reel bearing upgrade. I hope those bearings work out for you.

And let us know what you think of the Cherrywood rod after some real word use!

Offline The dude

• Guppy
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
So far i like the cherrywood. Havent caught any fish on it yet . Reel works great need to break em in more

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »
So far i like the cherrywood. Havent caught any fish on it yet . Reel works great need to break em in more

Glad you like it. Hang in there... the first fish on that rod will come soon  :nod:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »

I use the Cherrywood in a crank rod for spinnerbaits, can't be beat especially for the price
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz