BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 196
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Humminbird 788 CI Overheating Problem  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Humminbird 788 CI Overheating Problem
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
I have a 788 CI that's somewhere around 5 years old. Maybe even 6 years.

And this problem has existed for almost the entire life of the unit, so I should have addressed it a long time ago, but never did because I didn't want to be without it.

Anyway, I've had trouble with it acting up when it gets hot. Once it reaches a certain temperature, the screen goes a whitish gray color. And then it gets funny multicolored vertical lines on the screen and stays that way.

None of the buttons will work at that point, so the only way to power it down is to remove it from the mount.

If I let it sit for a while and then power it back on, it will work for a short while and then do the same thing again.

I don't usually have much trouble like this, since I fish at night during the summer months, but it happened to me yesterday during our club tourney. Skies were mostly sunny and temps were in the low to mid 80s.

I will be calling Humminbird tomorrow to ask them about it, but I'm sure they'll tell me to send the unit in. Was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems with their birds.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Humminbird 788 CI Overheating Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »
I spoke with Humminbird tech support today and learned that because my unit has been retired, and because it's close to 6 years old, it can no longer be serviced  :crying:

They don't stock the parts for it any longer.

I was told that it's probably a defective screen that's causing the problem, but they're no longer able to accept any of these units for service due to their age and the lack of available parts to repair them.

I guess a new unit is in order for the winter months. Time to do some homework  (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »
I don't know about Bird but in the past Lowrance has given me a discount on ordering a replacement for one that has bit the dust and is out of production.  If that doesn't work for you be sure to check out the prices at BOE Marine.  I've found them to be the best prices for some of the electronics I've bought.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
@Jig Man Thanks for the heads up on this vendor. I will definitely check them out.

I have no idea what I will end up with, but I will definitely be doing some thorough research.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the latest Garmin units, as well as Raymarine too. We'll see...

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal