BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 162
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: More Evinrude 225 Etec HO Problems  (Read 24852 times)

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 1
  • My Biggest Bass: 8.5 lbs
More Evinrude 225 Etec HO Problems
« on: August 28, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
So, I was at the lake a few weeks ago and got stranded cause when my fuel got down to a little les that a quarter tank it started sputtering and would not crank back. I trolled back to the ramp and put fuel in it and a can of Sea Foam and ran fine after that. Two days ago I fished two places on the lake and when I set down cranked the boat and tried to take off it wouldn't get above 2500 rpms and 7 mph. The motor was running smooth. It ran great all morning until that one time. No lights or alarms came on. This happened when the fuel got just below a quarter tank. Took it to get fuel then back to the lake and same thing. Any ideas folks?
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: More Evinrude 225 Etec HO Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
Took it to get fuel then back to the lake and same thing. Any ideas folks?

When you say same thing, do you mean that it still wouldn't run right, or did it run fine with more fuel in it?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
No it still won't get about 2500 rpms and about 7 mph. The motor is not spitting or sputtering and sounds to be running smooth. It feels like I'm pulling a very heavy load across the lake.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 11:13:22 PM »
Sounds to me like some kind of rev limiter. This can happen if the engine senses something is wrong. It will limit the RPMs to protect the engine.

Have you checked water flow and oil levels?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 04:09:06 AM »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have a half tank of oil and it's really running about 15 psi water pressure if that's what your asking. If your asking about the stream that comes out of the motor it is flowing there as well. I have also heard about winterization mode on some motors but I don't know if mine has that or not. There are no lights or alarms on either.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
Did you check your fuel filter?  It sounds to me like you sucked up some trash when you let it get low.   check filter, fuel pump, or possibly clogged injectors.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:55:07 AM by JackJ »
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Hjones

• Guppy
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 12:48:41 PM »
Ok. I thought about the fuel filter but I thought it would spit and sputter a little bit at least but the motor is running smooth. Just feels like I'm pulling a ship down the lake.
Positive Mental Attitude

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
A fuel restriction wouldn't necessarily cause the motor to spit and sputter. Many times it will simply limit the motor's ability to rev or generate horsepower/torque. So it's definitely a possibility.

The only other thing that comes to mind is something electronic, like a powerpack or something similar.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
Im thinking you sucked up some water and its in the fuel canister   can u  put it on a DDT and see if you got water in  the sensor.  OR the fuel filter is clogged with debri from ethanhol breaking down the fuel line.   you might also want to check the low pressure pump for debri
My suggestion would be hook up a remote tank with clean fuel to your intake and see if it clears up
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal