BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Did This Yesterday...  (Read 58051 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Did This Yesterday...
« on: September 18, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
My club had its final tourney of 2016 yesterday. The tourney was held on a river/reservoir that I'm not very familiar with.

I've heard stories of people losing skegs and damaging their lower units there, hitting rocks while running. So I went into this one with some hesitation.

I made the first run in the morning without incident. Whew

I have to admit I was pretty nervous as I motored a couple miles upstream, and relieved when I got there and shut the motor down.

It got even better when I landed a really nice Smallie in the first 10 minutes. But it went downhill from there

I landed one more small keeper Smallie and then a ton of shorts the rest of the day.

And later on I smacked a rock with my outboard at about 25-30 MPH. Ouch

This was the result.

I was figuring I'd have to have someone drop the lower unit, disassemble it and then weld a replacement skeg on. But I was reminded today that they sell skeg protectors/repair kits that can be bolted on.

Has anyone ever installed one of these? They look pretty easy to do from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:01:55 AM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Did This Yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »
Found this. It looks like I'll be ordering it tomorrow.

http://amzn.to/2cIwwEY
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:43:06 PM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
Actually just ordered it now. Can't wait to get it and install it. Seeing that ragged skeg makes me crazy  (giggle)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
A good welder could fix that if about 15 minutes and never take it off the motor.   Weld, grind, paint done.  When I sold boats we had a guy come every Wednesday and do repairs like that.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »
Ouch! Insurance? Better to make it as new if you can

I have been pretty much a zombie for 3 days....but final of 2017? I must be on the road to recovery lol.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »

I have been pretty much a zombie for 3 days....but final of 2017? I must be on the road to recovery lol.

Oops! Massive typo  :surprised:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:05:18 AM »
A good welder could fix that if about 15 minutes and never take it off the motor.   Weld, grind, paint done.  When I sold boats we had a guy come every Wednesday and do repairs like that.

@Jig Man  Wow. Seriously? I always thought the heat from welding would damage the internal stuff and seals, etc.

Ouch! Insurance? Better to make it as new if you can

@Eric Low My initial thought was to call the insurance company and see if they might cover it. Believe me, I would prefer to have it like new, if possible. I'm just not sure it would be worth contacting them, with deductibles, etc. Might be worth a shot, though.  (hmm)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
I doubt that job would cost over $100-150.  It should only be about an hour job.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
I doubt that job would cost over $100-150.  It should only be about an hour job.

OK. Thanks for the info. I'll check into it.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
Well, I opted to go with a skeg repair kit for now. I made a couple calls locally. One place told me they don't do the repairs and don't have anyone that would come to their shop to do it, so they drop the lower unit and send it to a welding shop about 30 miles from here. Another weld shop never returned my call.

So my skeg repair kit arrived here yesterday from Amazon. I will be installing it this weekend if I have the time. It should be a 15 minute install.

I'll get before and after pics. I might even do a video, but not sure yet about that part of it.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 07:27:46 AM »
Good luck on the install.  Be sure to include pics.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
Good luck on the install.  Be sure to include pics.

Thanks. Will do.

I did a preliminary test last night to see how much work it will take, and it looks like I'll need to cut a bit of the ragged bottom part of my skeg off. It got bent slightly when I hit the rock. So if I simply slide the repair kit over that, it won't be straight, which I know won't be good for handling and performance.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:10 PM »
drop the lower unit and send it to a welding shop about 30 miles from here.

30 miles? If it were me, I'd drive that far to get it done right, them add-on are a patch/hack.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
drop the lower unit and send it to a welding shop about 30 miles from here.

30 miles? If it were me, I'd drive that far to get it done right, them add-on are a patch/hack.

The 30 miles isn't a problem. I called them to get a price estimate for the repair if I brought the boat there myself instead of having the local shop drop the lower unit. The problem is that they never returned my call when I called them myself.

I will most likely use the skeg repair for the time being and get it welded at a later date so it's as close to original as possible.

Regardless, I will still need to cut a piece of the old skeg off, since it's bent from the impact with the rock.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »
Regardless, I will still need to cut a piece of the old skeg off, since it's bent from the impact with the rock.

The skeg can be straightened
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator