Outboard Motor Forums (by brand) > Yamaha Outboards

Did This Yesterday...

(1/10) > >>

Curt:
My club had its final tourney of 2016 yesterday. The tourney was held on a river/reservoir that I'm not very familiar with.

I've heard stories of people losing skegs and damaging their lower units there, hitting rocks while running. So I went into this one with some hesitation.

I made the first run in the morning without incident. Whew

I have to admit I was pretty nervous as I motored a couple miles upstream, and relieved when I got there and shut the motor down.

It got even better when I landed a really nice Smallie in the first 10 minutes. But it went downhill from there

I landed one more small keeper Smallie and then a ton of shorts the rest of the day.

And later on I smacked a rock with my outboard at about 25-30 MPH. Ouch

This was the result.

I was figuring I'd have to have someone drop the lower unit, disassemble it and then weld a replacement skeg on. But I was reminded today that they sell skeg protectors/repair kits that can be bolted on.

Has anyone ever installed one of these? They look pretty easy to do from what I've seen.

Curt:
Found this. It looks like I'll be ordering it tomorrow.

http://amzn.to/2cIwwEY

Curt:
Actually just ordered it now. Can't wait to get it and install it. Seeing that ragged skeg makes me crazy  (giggle)

Jig Man:
A good welder could fix that if about 15 minutes and never take it off the motor.   Weld, grind, paint done.  When I sold boats we had a guy come every Wednesday and do repairs like that.

Eric Low:
Ouch! Insurance? Better to make it as new if you can

I have been pretty much a zombie for 3 days....but final of 2017? I must be on the road to recovery lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version