BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 267
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Did This Yesterday...  (Read 59001 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Did This Yesterday...
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »

The skeg can be straightened

OK. Thanks for that info. What's the best way to do that?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 05:17:36 AM »
If someone says they can weld a repair skeg on without removing the lover unit and disassembling it find a new place to take it.  The seals will be damaged . 
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
If someone says they can weld a repair skeg on without removing the lover unit and disassembling it find a new place to take it.  The seals will be damaged .

Depends on the process B.  You can control  the heat with a Tig.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »
I also have a buddy that is awesome w/ a Henrob gas, it's amazing what he can do w/ that - many welders now prefer to a Tig
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »

That's always been my understanding too. But maybe new technologies and equipment can do otherwise?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
BTW.. any good suggestions for straightening what's left of the skeg? I'd rather straighten it out than cut it off.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 08:56:50 AM »
believe it or not I Place a 4x4 on one side and wrap the other with a good size dead blow hammer  NOT A SLEDGE HAMMER  just dont get stupid about it and give it all ya got    Just a good shot and some patience.  Dont try to pry it with monkey wrenches as I ve seen some guys try   It might snap.   If you do have someone weld it without removing the bearing carrier and driveshaft seals  keep an eye on the oil in the lower unit.  Im betting within a few weeks it will be milky from water intrusion.
Just crack the drain srew  If theres water in there it will come out first being heavier then oil.  If Its milky brown color  remember I told u so.   
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 11:34:14 AM »
believe it or not I Place a 4x4 on one side and wrap the other with a good size dead blow hammer  NOT A SLEDGE HAMMER  just dont get stupid about it and give it all ya got    Just a good shot and some patience.  Dont try to pry it with monkey wrenches as I ve seen some guys try   It might snap.   If you do have someone weld it without removing the bearing carrier and driveshaft seals  keep an eye on the oil in the lower unit.  Im betting within a few weeks it will be milky from water intrusion.
Just crack the drain srew  If theres water in there it will come out first being heavier then oil.  If Its milky brown color  remember I told u so.   

@bullet20dc Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

I'm the type of person who wants things done right. Shortcuts don't fly with me. So if there is a risk in welding the skeg with the lower unit all together, I will have it torn down first. Mickey Mouse is not allowed to work on anything that I own. Period.  (nope)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
smart move   It may cost a little more   but a blown gear case a few months down the road is a whole lot more.   Ive seen so many times   guys try and save a few dollars in shortcuts and come to my shop a few weeks later to fix what they had done incorrectly .  Im not complaining tho I like when guys bring in their screwups  I get to eat steak that night  (yes) (yes) (yes)
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
Im not complaining tho I like when guys bring in their screwups  I get to eat steak that night  (yes) (yes) (yes)

(giggle)

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 07:38:49 AM »

@bullet20dc Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

I'm the type of person who wants things done right. Shortcuts don't fly with me. So if there is a risk in welding the skeg with the lower unit all together, I will have it torn down first. Mickey Mouse is not allowed to work on anything that I own. Period.  (nope)

Yeah, I'm like you. I don't like to take short cuts either so that's why I would have at least a minimum of a brand new case with my old guts hanging on the bottom of my motor if I broke my skeg. When I busted my trailer fender I had estimates of around $800 but went the $1200 option of a brand new one from the factory.

Can the skeg be repaired? IMHO with the right welding process and the right person doing it, yes it can and can be done without tearing down the internals just finding that competent person. It will just be a slow and costly process. I have had a few LU's torn down to do some repairs and they are like diffs in vehicles. To do them right they need to be set up correctly to be dependable and IMO it's not worth the risk of being towed in for me.

Honestly, unless your skeg is broken of short I don't know that I wouldn't try to run it as is and see if it causes you handling problems. Best I remember, you don't have a high speed boat that comes all the way out of the water on a little pad. My FIL has a 19' Ranger with a 150 GT and his skeg has about a 2" piece missing and it's bent and the boat handles great with no ill effects.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:27:37 AM by transamz9 »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »

Honestly, unless your skeg is broken of short I don't know that I wouldn't try to run it as is and see if it causes you handling problems. Best I remember, you don't have a high speed boat that comes all the way out of the water on a little pad. My FIL has a 19' Ranger with a 150 GT and his skeg has about a 2" piece missing and it's bent and the boat handles great with no ill effects.

I made a short run after breaking it and didn't seem to feel anything negative from it.

My boat is a G3 HP 180, with a 150 HP Yamaha. It does around 53-54 MPH, and the way it's setup right now it doesn't ride on just a little piece of the pad, so there will likely be no ill effects from the broken skeg. I just hate seeing it like that  (fp)

So my short term plan is to work the skeg repair kit onto the broken skeg. And then, at some point in the future, drop the lower unit, have it disassembled, and then have the skeg repaired by a reputable welder.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
The skeg does 2 things  first and formost it acts as guard for the prop. If its broken below the prop tip and theres enough left to guard the prop get a sawzall and clean her up and go fishing.  The second is to keep the boat straight at speed and reduce steering torque.  Ive seen customers boats with a nub left and they ran fine but not a great idea at speeds over 40 and deff not in rocky lakes   
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
Thanks @bullet20dc I will be cleaning it up and going fishing soon  :nod:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
Update: I ran my boat at WOT last week, hitting speeds over 50 MPH and the boat handled just fine. I felt absolutely no negative effects from having 1/4 of my skeg gone.

On another note, I started the install of the skeg repair kit but came to a screeching halt when I found the battery dead in my cordless drill  (fp)

I tried to charge it, but the battery is toast, so I have ordered a replacement, which I hope will be here later this week. In the meantime, the skeg repair unit has been slid up over the damaged skeg. So all I have left to do is drill two small holes and then run the two small bolts through it and tighten them down.

I'll post some pics when it's finished.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal