BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 165
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Gas Fumes  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Gas Fumes
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
I seem to be noticing gas fumes from my boat recently. I don't smell it when I'm out in the boat, but when the boat's in the garage, I get a whiff of gas every once in a while. And if I open the lid to the bilge area, it smells pretty strongly of gas.

I checked the bilge of the boat but there were no puddles of gas or even a gas residue anywhere that I could see.

One thing I did notice recently that may or may not be related is that my gas gauge seems to have stopped working. I'm assuming that maybe the sending unit has failed, but I haven't checked anything yet to verify that. Whether the failure of the gas gauge and the smell of gas are related or not, I have no idea.

Any suggestions as to where to start when it comes to pinpointing the source of the fumes??

Thanks in advance.  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Gas Fumes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »
It's your gas tank plastic? Plastic tanks bleed gas fumes.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:16:06 PM »
It's your gas tank plastic? Plastic tanks bleed gas fumes.

Yes it is plastic. And I have had fumes since day 1. But they seem to be a bit stronger now than before. Or maybe for some reason I'm just paying more attention to them all of a sudden.  (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:46:54 AM »
check to see if your tank vent or fill hose is loose in the bilge area.  I don't think the gauge problem and odor are related unless the sending unit mount is loose and the ground screw is not making contact  then that would let fumes out and gauge not work  but thats way out there but hey ya never know
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
@bullet20dc Thanks. I'll check those things out  :thumbup:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal