BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 182
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Rotted Transom  (Read 23443 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Rotted Transom
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
Here's a great example of why you should have an experienced boat mechanic check any boat you're considering buying.

This was a 98 Nitro. It was a "beautiful, garage-kept" boat.

Apparently, the former owner had the transom "repaired" immediately before trading it in. The next buyer sadly found this after making his purchase.

This is a hard lesson for someone to learn after the fact, so hopefully this pic will encourage people to check a boat thoroughly before they buy!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
Re: Rotted Transom
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:30:25 AM »
I remember saying when buying a used rig  use a rubber mallet and tap the transom and listen for hollow sounds.   That type of rot will be heard   Evidently someone just bondo'd it or stuck some matt and resin in the hole,  not repaired it
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
I remember saying when buying a used rig  use a rubber mallet and tap the transom and listen for hollow sounds.   That type of rot will be heard   Evidently someone just bondo'd it or stuck some matt and resin in the hole,  not repaired it

And this is another great reason why composite transoms are better than the old school wood transoms  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
thats what happens when people repower and dont seal these bolt holes  . there a seallet used for that  if you dont see it on the washers on the transome buy another boat...we looked at a nitro to flip the price was way low i found out why ..seller never said a word to me about it..lucky i seen it when my son trimmed up the motor...

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
thats what happens when people repower and dont seal these bolt holes  . there a seallet used for that  if you dont see it on the washers on the transome buy another boat...we looked at a nitro to flip the price was way low i found out why ..seller never said a word to me about it..lucky i seen it when my son trimmed up the motor...

It's a shame that people will try to unload boats like this on unsuspecting potential buyers.  :crying:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal