Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Trailer Maintenance

Smoke in the reav view miirror

(1/5) > >>

frugalangler:
Thought I'd make one last outing before putting the boat to bed for a while, so headed to the local power plant lake to chase some smallies. Had a great day, blue bird sky, very light breeze, about 60* air and 63* water temps. Managed to finesse about 10 nice smallies and 4 bonus flatheads (each one about 8#) before calling it a great fall day.

Checked out at the ranger gate and noticed one wheel on the trailer slightly cambered, but was in a turn where I parked and the torsion axles typically flex a little more than leaf sprung units, so didn't think too much about it. WRONG!

Got about 10 miles down the road and noticed wisps of smoke occasionally in the rear view mirror, but was on a 2 lane with no shoulder so I pulled into the next available location and when I did that wheel cambered further and started rubbing the inside of the fender (actually the bunk shield beside the boat). That caused a lot of smoke so I found the nearest spot to park, got out and that wheel was cambered about 10 degrees, smoke rolling out of the hub, and she was smoking hot to the touch.

Got out the jack, removed the hub cover (ranger has a better idea, an allen head screw to retain, make sure you always have one), and the pieces parts fell out on the ground! Or, what was left, as most of the oil bath hub had totally melted in a big glob inside the lug nut area. OK, this is not good. I jacked it up, put my socket on the lug nut, and immediately cracked that socket as those nuts were heat bound to the studs! Got on the phone to a buddy, he came with a floor jack, some tools, and muscles. To break the lug nuts loose, remove floor jack handle and place over breaker bar, and place on lug nut at about 9 o'clock, then 225# buddy jumped on the jack handle and it screeched about 1/8th turn That was the story for all 5 lug nuts.

Well, I can say this, Ranger Trail trailers with the torsion axles are great on 3 wheels, drove it home about 75 miles with the left rear in the floor of the boat, never did scrape, didn't have to do anything but drive. If it'd been a conventional leaf tandem it would have needed to have the gimpy axle strapped to the frame due to the design of the cantilever weight transfer system.

Bottom line, Ranger has now discontinued using the oil bath hub system, I'd herd horror stories but I've checked mine periodically and always been OK. Well, I'm not replacing 4 hubs & spindle assemblies completely - remove the wheel, unbolt the spindle from the torsion arm, bolt a new assy. on, replace wheel, good to roll with a 5 year warranty from Ranger.

If you guys have an oil bath hub, be ware, those horror stories are true!

Curt:
Glad you made it home safely and without further damage or incident!

And I have heard those same horror stories about oil bath hubs. They either work, or they don't. No in between  (nope)

transamz9:
That's whyour I don't like Rangers wheels.. you can't see the oil in the hubs. I can walk around my boat and see the oil in ever hub. I just replace my second seal in 8 years.

bullet20dc:
I convert a lot of oil bath hubs back to grease.  I know semis have been using that system for a very long time but tractor trailers dont back into water after a coupla hours driving. That fast temp difference isnt good for seals and expansion.  It also creates a vacuum and if the seal is weak water will be sucked in.  I never liked the system.  Ive replace a lot of leaking hubs and seals on those units. All 4 on SBL's Nitro now.  At least on a Nitro trailer you can see the hub oil level.  We check that every pee stop on a long tow.  takes a second to look at em.
       If your thinking of converting back to grease Its not as simple as putting on a bearing buddy and greasing it.  The axles and hubs are diff for oil bath systems. The bearings and hubs  will have to be packed by hand the old fashion way and the rear seals changed out.   Grease will get u home

transamz9:

--- Quote from: bullet20dc on November 10, 2016, 06:49:27 AM ---I convert a lot of oil bath hubs back to grease.  I know semis have been using that system for a very long time but tractor trailers dont back into water after a coupla hours driving. That fast temp difference isnt good for seals and expansion.  It also creates a vacuum and if the seal is weak water will be sucked in.  I never liked the system.  Ive replace a lot of leaking hubs and seals on those units. All 4 on SBL's Nitro now.  At least on a Nitro trailer you can see the hub oil level.  We check that every pee stop on a long tow.  takes a second to look at em.
       If your thinking of converting back to grease Its not as simple as putting on a bearing buddy and greasing it.  The axles and hubs are diff for oil bath systems. The bearings and hubs  will have to be packed by hand the old fashion way and the rear seals changed out.   Grease will get u home

--- End quote ---

I carry hub oil, 2 inner and 2 outer bearings , 2 seals and 2 seal rings with me all the time. I also carry wheel bearing grease in the camper just in case.

Yes I carry the tools to change them too. (giggle)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version