BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 183
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Smoke in the reav view miirror  (Read 20532 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Smoke in the reav view miirror
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »

Twice last season. Front axel first. Rear axel a month later 500 miles from home. Lost a wheel somewhere in Buffalo.  Had flames in my review years ago in downtown Hartford with a conventional hub. Pulled off road on Asylum Street.  As luck would have it a Champion Dealer 10 miles or so down the road. Some great locals helped me out and got me back on the road. Trailer my weak link lately.

Wow! Twice in one season is not good  (nope) Stinks to lose a complete tire and rim, but glad nobody got hurt.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 05:15:11 AM »
All it takes is a little maintenance. If a good hub oil is used then they can run without oil for a good while and not have a huge problem.

and theres the rub Tranz  you and I and a few others will actually take the time to check this but a vast majority of boat towers will just hitch and go till something breaks.  when I get em its usually too late and just replacing seals and cap are not an option.    yep I agree low grease or oil is bad but typically when an oil bath hub goes empty its almost instantly a problem at least with grease a few squirts with a grease gun and u can get home.    i guess whatever ya feel confident in works for you but I get guys in from good car mechanics to guys that dont know what end of a screwdriver to use.  I like the latter guys   mo money
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »
I followed directions. My first Triton had no issues for the 5 years I had it. This Triton was less than 3 years old. But anyway I followed directions...essentially do nothing.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »
Yeah, when the manufactures started switching over to that system I told myself that if I ever buy another boat and it has that on it the first order of business is to remove them and put on standard oil bath hubs. That system is really a bearing buddy that uses a different type of grease. At least with a bearing buddy you can easily remove the cap and inspect. My RV has the type that you can use a grease gun to repack the bearings but I've seen to many brake drums filled with grease. Much better to just remove the hub/drum and repack  by hand with a new seal.  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »
I have a hard time accepting any kind of hubs on a boat trailer as being maintenance free. Just the fact they they're being submerged at least twice every trip you make tells me that there will always be a chance that some water might get into the hubs/bearings.

And as someone else mentioned, when you drive a considerable distance and everything heats up, dunking them into water that's cooler than the temperature of that assembly is going to, by nature, cause them to contract and suck water into them. Even if it's a tiny amount, it's still getting in there.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »
In 9 years I've only had 1 out of 4 get water in it.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »

Glad to hear it. I guess they're all different and there are no absolutes with them.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 05:54:45 AM »

only takes once   You're the type of guy that would catch that early and remedy it but so many towers wouldnt  Not a fun thing getting a bearing failure at 65 mph on an interstate.  All 4 seals on the Nitro went out already on SBG's  and have been replaced.  She has the see thru caps and luckily it was noticed early.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
Yep, I like to think I'm up on all my maintenance as well, 5 trailers currently and in over 12 years this was the first bearing failure I've had. Every other trailer I own uses good ole grease, now ALL of them do. My experience is fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice - not gonna happen!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator