Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Trailer Maintenance

Smoke in the reav view miirror

<< < (2/5) > >>

frugalangler:
Charlie, I totally agree, I never did warm up to the idea for just the reasons you mention - cold shock! Heat creates expansion of air, which will escape out the seals, and therefore creates a vacuum. When dunked in the water, water will penetrate and create contamination. Rinse and repeat, and you get damaged parts. And, yes, rangers you can't monitor the contamination easily. I did periodically pull the covers and check, but you CAN'T do that every stop, and apparently I went one trip too far between checks!

Ranger has partnered w/ Tie Down Engineering for a long time. They have used TDE components on Ranger Trail trailers ever since I believe they went to the torsion suspension, and Tie Down now has a Ranger (or others that use Torsion Spindle setup) after fit that includes the spindle, hub, bearings, & seals completely assembled and greased (using Lucas marine grease) from the factory with a 5 year warranty.

So, Charlie, on mine it is that easy, although it's pricey! But, I've the satisfaction of totally new parts with a warranty. I priced out the components to change over and although not quite as much, the simplicity and warranty made my decision.

* Jack up one side and remove both wheels
* Remove both wheels
* Remove caliper on rear
* Remove both spindle and hub assy's
    (they are retained by a 1-1/2" castle nut to torsion arm)
* Install spindle and hub assy's and torque to about 100#/ft
* Install caliper on rear
* Re-mount both wheels and lower trailer
* Repeat on other side
Link to TDE's Vortex hub info:
www.tiedown.com/pdf/c1157.pdf

frugalangler:

--- Quote from: transamz9 on November 10, 2016, 09:39:42 AM ---

I carry hub oil, 2 inner and 2 outer bearings , 2 seals and 2 seal rings with me all the time. I also carry wheel bearing grease in the camper just in case.

Yes I carry the tools to change them too. (giggle)

--- End quote ---
Yep, and on the LCB it carries a complete hub/bearing assembly as the spare tire mount, so a field change of a hub is possible. But......

Even with all that I'd have been in a deep pool, as the spindle and hub were damaged! It got SO hot that even in shop w/ an impact I can't back the bearing nut off the spindle! I guess if you catch it soon enough, you could save one, but mine toasted in apparently about 80 miles! I was lucky not to see my wheel pass me by, it was that close to coming off the spindle! Only thing keeping it in place was the remaining parts of the inner bearing seal shell. This thing self destructed FAST!

Curt:

--- Quote from: frugalangler on November 10, 2016, 09:55:01 AM ---
Yep, I was lucky not to see my wheel pass me by, it was that close to coming off the spindle! Only thing keeping it in place was the remaining pars of the inner bearing seal shell. This thing self destructed FAST!

--- End quote ---

If I remember correctly, @Eric Low had that happen and he did see his tire and wheel go flying by him  (fp)

fishon-son:
my stratos has a drain plug (made by ranger 2012). allen head set screw....lucky me . change oil every other year if i made the runs to st clair or saginaw river..  never had a issue with my hubs i like them much better then the greese style....now the brake system i hate...i just leave the key in and cover it with a big magnet so its always in...if not my brakes lock up when i back down to the water or into the drive...if any one know how to fix that please help  stratos want me to take it in   shop want $125 hr...2 hr min..sorry  my .50cent magnet works just fine....

bullet20dc:
i just drilled a 5/16  hole in the slider throught the frame of the tongue and receiver and throw a bolt in it   

frug most of the ones ive seen go bad were to the point where carrying bearings and oil and grease wont do squat.  The inner race gets fuse to the spindle from the heat and there aint nothing your doing on the side of the road to fix that.  some rigs have removable spindle asm.  but I usually end up cutting the old race off carefully with a side grinder till i get to the spindle   a few I had to replace axles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version