BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 198
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Extension cord what Gauge?  (Read 15213 times)

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Extension cord what Gauge?
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
I have a roughly 40’ run from my house to my boat. I have two chargers in my boat. 1) Three Bank Charger (Dual Pro) 10 amp . 2) Two bank charger Guest (Marinco ) 8 Amp charger. Note: Only using one set of leads to charge, the other set has been sealed with electrical tape.

I would like to run one extension cord. Thinking of using a 12 gauge extension cord and have both chargers plugged into it. Is 12 gauge good?   

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-x-12-gauge-multi-outlet-extension-cord-with-indicator-light-62903.html

Thoughts?

Andy K

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Extension cord what Gauge?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
I would think 12 gauge should be fine since that's what is used for household wiring. My only concern would be the distance, so maybe bumping up to 10 gauge would be a good idea to be on the safe side.

But... the price doubles with those specs: http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-10-gauge-triple-tap-extension-cord-93670.html

Like I said, the 12 gauge will probably be fine, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to stuff like this where electricity and a possible fire hazard are concerned.

Maybe there's an electrician here who can answer this for you more accurately.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »
I read the specs somewhere on the net, it basically stated the runs over 50' should use 10 gauge. Depending how many amps are being used.

Yes, the price doubles when to go from 12 > 10. I plan on keeping the battery's on the charger all Winter long.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »
You know that the 18 amps you're talking about is at 12v rate.....and the cord to the chargers is 110v right? Less than 1.8 amps - and that's at full draw. 12 ga is buttload of conductor.

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
You know that the 18 amps you're talking about is at 12v rate.....and the cord to the chargers is 110v right? Less than 1.8 amps - and that's at full draw. 12 ga is buttload of conductor.

12 is to much?

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
It's more than enough for the purpose expressed - put it that way. Will give plenty of room for future uses though.

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
It's more than enough for the purpose expressed - put it that way. Will give plenty of room for future uses though.

:thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »

I completely forgot about the 12 volt factor. Thanks @Nightmare  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline pondhopper424

• Bluegill
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:52:20 AM »
I’m not a big fan of harbor freight anything; their stuff is generally made on the low end of quality. That being said 40’ is a long way to run an extension cord that will be left out for any period of time exposed to weather conditions, chewing critters, and possible foot traffic. 12 gauge is overkill but at least it has thicker insulation.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
I have 2 12guage x cords  one is 75 ft and one is 100 ft  need em when I stay at motels   I never had a problem with heat  Like Nitey stated my 3 banks draw about 4 amps tops at full load.  Its all about the quality of the cords and insulation.  both of mine are 3/4  inch thick  and weight a ton.   stay away from cheap plastic coated china crap  if you can lift a 100 footer with one hand  leave it be   (giggle)
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Picked up a 12 gauge  50' at Lowes. Usually 69.00, web had it listed for 41.00  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
Picked up a 12 gauge  50' at Lowes. Usually 69.00, web had it listed for 41.00  :thumbup:

Sounds like a decent deal  :thumbup:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal