Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Maintenance

Extension cord what Gauge?

(1/3) > >>

andyfender:
I have a roughly 40’ run from my house to my boat. I have two chargers in my boat. 1) Three Bank Charger (Dual Pro) 10 amp . 2) Two bank charger Guest (Marinco ) 8 Amp charger. Note: Only using one set of leads to charge, the other set has been sealed with electrical tape.

I would like to run one extension cord. Thinking of using a 12 gauge extension cord and have both chargers plugged into it. Is 12 gauge good?   

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-x-12-gauge-multi-outlet-extension-cord-with-indicator-light-62903.html

Thoughts?

Andy K

Curt:
I would think 12 gauge should be fine since that's what is used for household wiring. My only concern would be the distance, so maybe bumping up to 10 gauge would be a good idea to be on the safe side.

But... the price doubles with those specs: http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-10-gauge-triple-tap-extension-cord-93670.html

Like I said, the 12 gauge will probably be fine, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to stuff like this where electricity and a possible fire hazard are concerned.

Maybe there's an electrician here who can answer this for you more accurately.

andyfender:
I read the specs somewhere on the net, it basically stated the runs over 50' should use 10 gauge. Depending how many amps are being used.

Yes, the price doubles when to go from 12 > 10. I plan on keeping the battery's on the charger all Winter long.

Nightmare:
You know that the 18 amps you're talking about is at 12v rate.....and the cord to the chargers is 110v right? Less than 1.8 amps - and that's at full draw. 12 ga is buttload of conductor.

andyfender:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on November 22, 2016, 08:00:29 PM ---You know that the 18 amps you're talking about is at 12v rate.....and the cord to the chargers is 110v right? Less than 1.8 amps - and that's at full draw. 12 ga is buttload of conductor.

--- End quote ---

12 is to much?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version