BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 237
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Largemouth Bass Virus Information  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Largemouth Bass Virus Information
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »
Did some more homework today regarding the LMB Virus.

It seems that nobody is 100% sure the Largemouth Bass Virus spreads or why it does what it does to some fish but leaves others unaffected. But I found some good info at the Bassmaster website, so I grabbed it and created a PDF file, which I've attached to this post.

One things is for sure. If you fish in a lake that is infected with the virus, your livewell and bilge must be 100% dry before putting the boat in another lake. Contaminated water can spread the virus into the waters of another lake.

Strangely, the Largemouth Bass Virus doesn't kill all of the fish it infects. It seems to mainly affect bass that are stressed for one reason or another.

Anyway, feel free to grab the attached PDF file and learn what you can from it. I will most likely write a blog post with more info about the LMB Virus at some later date, once I know more about it.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: Largemouth Bass Virus Information
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
One things is for sure. If you fish in a lake that is infected with the virus, your livewell and bilge must be 100% dry before putting the boat in another lake. Contaminated water can spread the virus into the waters of another lake.

Hmm. I'm suspecting zebra mussel treatment would work also. A quart of bleach to each livewell (filled with water) for 15-20 minutes. But I'm not a marine biologist and don't play one on tv either.... Gonna take a while to get that whole system bone dry.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
We never heard about doing anything special when the virus hit Table Rock.  Now that 3 of our lakes have zebra muscles there are signs at the ramps encouraging all to wash everything and or leave the boat out doors for 4 days to kill all of them that may be on the boat or trailer.  My option is to not fish the lakes where they have been found.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
Now that 3 of our lakes have zebra muscles there are signs at the ramps encouraging all to wash everything and or leave the boat out doors for 4 days to kill all of them that may be on the boat or trailer.

Not to hijack the thread concerning LBV but.... When Erie got lambasted w/zm, info was they wii survive up to 30 days out of water... But bleach knocks em on their azz. 'Course still need to go over the trailer for weeds that they attach to like crazy. (nope)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 10:43:25 AM »
I've also read that bleach in the livewells will kill the LMB virus. But the bleach can only stay in there for a short time to prevent corrosion of any metal that it might come into contact with.

As @Jig Man mentioned, I'm considering staying away from the lakes with the LMB virus just to be 100% on the safe side.

The lakes around here are small and it wouldn't take much to destroy a fishery with this nasty stuff.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:48:24 AM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 06:51:12 AM »
well my local lake was said to have the bass virus. were we lost about 60%of the bass and bluegill ....was later found that our great dnr did a kill off because the lake was said to have to many small bluegill and crappies...they totally destroyed the bass fishing trying to kill off the small fish..now we have a lake that was the best bass fishing lake in my county 3,4 5 lbers  all day long...to no small bass no small gills  no crappies , and full of walleyes.....the walleye introduction has ruined the small lakes in all of southern michigan for bass fishing but,we dont hear of the virus  anymore.................now on to the zebra mussles..best thing that ever happen to the great lakes.....water is crystal clear all fish have exploded in size   smallmouth bass in lk.st.clair and erie is the best it has ever been..down side  alwifes minnows are gone no plakedon to eat and salmon are just about gone also..but you got to remember  alwifes and salmon were introduced to the waters in the 40/50s alwifes by ships, salmon by man...they have cut the salmon stocking programs by 50%  no stocking in lk.huron  lk michigan will get limited stocking...but there shifting to walleyes detroit river walleyes are the best they have been in 30 yrs..zebras are in most lakes  in michigan and those lakes are doing ok...down side your local water companys have to get divers to clean the water inlets for drinking water..

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »
Curious where that is, F-s. I vacation in Branch Co and a while back they were pooo-luted with zm and clarity pushed the fish down a good 3-4 foot - clarity went up a good 100-150%. Last few years the zm went away about 90% and clarity going back down - not quite where it was.

No walleye in this chain west side of Coldwater.

MDNR teed me off when they did away with the separate salmon/trout tag and lumped in together in regular license, jackin' it up double. Keep asking each year when we get licenses what the salmon are bitin' on local and they look at me like I'm stupid and tell me they ain't no salmon in the lakes there....duh....but I'm payin' for the privilege of not bein' none.  (fp)

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal