BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 189
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Prop  (Read 22905 times)

Offline jak0253

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Prop
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:26:27 PM »
I am very happy with my 2006 tracker 170, 40hp four stroke other than it takes forever to get on plane. There is a tag that says 13 x 26 pitch (for the prop). Is there another prop / different pitch that I could install to help my hole shot but not affect top end? Thanks

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
Re: Prop
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
possibly, 13X26 seems way tall for a 40HP, is that the original rigging prop? or, did someone swap to a taller one to try to get more top end?? I'd have expected to see maybe a 23" on that motor.

if that is original, there are some possiblities:

something that is common is the motor on smaller boats is frequently mounted too low on the transom, or the boat is loaded heavier than typical causing more of the lower unit to be submerged than necessary. some experimentation there might improve, but without a water pressure gauge you need to be cautious of going too high.

that said, generally it's a ratio - like the transmission in a car, you get more starting power in lower gears,  but to get speed you need higher gears, which makes starting difficult.

when you say it takes forever, describe better the behavior, does the bow rise to the sky for a long period of time, that may be a sign of not trimming the engine at launch correctly (if it's a power trim, make sure it's trimmed ALL the way down, the prop will actually be pointed slightly upward toward the front of the boat when correctly set for takeoff), or not having correct bow to stern balance, some experimentation there might reveal things.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
Frugal got it right. 26 seems way too tall for your boat.

Just to clear things up a bit, having a higher number, such as 26, vs. a lower number, like 21 or 23, will give you better top end speed, but your holeshot will suffer.

Changing the prop to improve your holeshot will always result in a lower top-end speed, unless some other possible adjustments are made, such as raising the motor height. But  raising the motor should be done carefully, as @frugalangler also mentioned, to make sure there is no drop in water pressure on plane.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
Changing the prop to improve your holeshot will always result in a lower top-end speed, unless some other possible adjustments are made, such as raising the motor height. But  raising the motor should be done carefully, as @frugalangler also mentioned, to make sure there is no drop in water pressure on plane.

That's true, unless the prop is so too big that the motor is lugging and not able to achieve it's WOT recommended RPM, therefore not really getting more top speed. I see this frequently on bigger boats, guys want to go faster and then complain about not really going faster, taking longer to launch, and burning way more fuel and oil because the computer thinks it's WOT but not achieving proper RPM, so adds in fuel (and oil) to try to achieve the target RPM! Been there many times, guys can't believe going down in pitch raises top end - it does happen in some cases!!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline RJP44

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:17:26 PM »
Like posted above, what is your RPM at wide open throttle?  26p is too much prop.  What is your top speed as well?  On my previous tracker with a mariner 40hp I was running a 14p with max speed of 32mph all within the recommended rpm range.  Although a different hull i still think you should see similar numbers
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:19:40 PM by RJP44 »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
Although a different hull i still think you should see similar numbers

Back when I had a 17 foot Tracker with a 40 HP Evinrude, I also topped out at about 32 MPH and I think that also had a 14 pitch prop. I had also added power trim & tilt, so I was able to trim up while running, which helped a great deal compared to when I first bought the boat with only manual tilt.  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline jak0253

• Guppy
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:02:27 AM »
 Thanks for the information, this is new to me. I get 28-29mph @5200 rpm, that is alone, with a passenger 26-27mph. (I am no light weight 250lb) After reading your reply's it is noticeably worst with a passenger(he is about 180lb) to the point that at times he would have to sit on the deck to get the nose down. Once on plane it runs great. I do start with the trim all the way down and other than adding a battery (24 volt trolling motor) just normal gear and most is stored in the front compartments. Maybe I am expecting too much? My last boat had a 70hp two stroke. I assume the prop is original and the affixed sticker looks to be factory applied. There is no indication that the motor has been raised or lowered, I am the second owner (motor has less than 15hrs.) So should I change the prop what would you fellas recommend? Thanks again.

Offline Sully401

• Guppy
  • You got the big ones out there eatin the little on
    • Sullivan Brownhill fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.15 LMB 5.07 SMB
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:11:44 AM »
@jak0253  I feel your pain! I currently own a 2001 PT 175 with a 40hp Mercury Force and i had similar issues when i first bought the boat. With just myself in the boat and all my gear i get about 27-28 mph out of my 40hp motor. Now my tach does not work currently and im actually not sure if i am running top RPMS for the motor. But i also believe i do not have the correct size prop, i could be wrong. My motor did come with a spare prop that is much larger. But as mentioned abut the larger prop allows for me to get onto plane faster, but my top speed is only about 26mph on a WOT.

As for the boat not getting onto plane very well i think its a weigh issue. My boat struggled when i first got it and turned out i had too much weight focused on the rear of the boat. I now store my anchor up front as well as a tool box for emergency repairs and that helped quite a bit. I also cleared out alot of unnecessary items under the seats and that helped free up some weight in the rear as well. Once i did that i had a noticeable difference. Even just for experimentation try adding some gym weights up front to see if it makes a difference.
Duckett fishing RPS
Netbait RPS
Ardent outdoors RPS

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
I ran some numbers based on a current model 40HP Merc 4S, which has a 2.0:1 gear-case, and I don't think they've changed since yours.

Your prop slip is approx. 55%, and since your WOT RPM is low @ 5200, that correlates. You should be in the 5500-6000 WOT range on that engine.

Running the calculation for a 14" prop, which would most likely attain the WOT RPM (I used 5800 for this calc.) you should see a noticeable improvement in launch, as it's a much lower ration prop, but your slip will likely come down (I ran a 20% for this calc., it might even go lower) and you should see about 31MPH WOT speed.

Those numbers are estimates, but what it is showing is that apparently that is a incorrect prop. Now, if that gear case is not a 2.0:1 and is something much lower (bigger number, it's a ratio) like 2.75:1 it's possible that is close to a correct prop as that gear case calculates out to a 39% slip - but even so WOT RPM is too low and that engine is lugging.

The best thing you could do is to get set up with a good prop dealer that has a try&buy program, get what you might think is a good starting point prop, try it, and see what you get. Then go up and down 1-2 pitches and see if it's better or worse. if it is better lower, go one more and see if it declines, if so, go back to previous, if better, increment again and compare. Prop selection is not a cut and dry science, it's trial and error with some guidelines.

What you're looking for is the lowest amount of slip (efficiency of the prop) that ultimately gives the best hole shot and top end @ correct WOT RPM.

As pointed out, hole shot can be managed (or miss-managed) by correct or incorrect loading (there is not black and white here either, it's trial and error) but a rule of thumb I've been given by boat builders is for a typical boat 1# at the bilge/transom equates to about 10# at the driver console and as much as 50# at the bow. Moving a few pounds of weight forward makes a major impact on bow loading, so moving that 20# anchor to the bow could very well change your take-off characteristics.

As for prop selection, usually going for WOT #'s first and then tweaking for hole shot is the approach most take, as generally a prop that runs WOT very well will also be capable of a decent hole shot given weight balance is managed correctly.

So, I hear your question: What size prop should I start with? Given what we know or assumptions (gear case ratio = 2.0:1) I'd start around 16" pitch, but using a try&buy so I can adjust and not cost an arm and leg! Yes, try&buy sometimes has a slight fee, but is definitely less than buying multiple props and then losing on reselling them if not correct.

Here's a link to the slip calculator I use: http://bblades.com/propeller-slip-calculator/

Hope this helps, I'm sure @bulletdc can chime in and fine tune the advise.

FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
@jak0253 Frugal just gave you some great advice. Some of it is highly technical and might seem overwhelming, but it's the kind of info that's used to figure out an answer to your problem from a technical standpoint.

If you can find a good prop dealer who has a try and buy program, it'll help you a great deal to be able to dial in exactly what you need for a prop on your boat.

And @Sully401 gave you some good advice also, when it comes to weight distribution. Sometimes small things can make a big difference. And in light of the fact that, as you said, you're not a small guy, adjusting and moving some stuff around in the boat can be helpful.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
The syntax on the "13x26" tag suggests that is the prop spec BUT I would question that. A 26" pitch on a 13" diameter is kind of extreme.  Just my observation...

Offline jak0253

• Guppy
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:57 AM »
My boat does have 2.0:1 gearing, there is a label for that as well. You would think Tracker would install the right prop to begin with. I will check with my local marina to see if they will let me try different props. Two more questions is the diameter of the prop something I should be looking at as well as the pitch (in other words 13 x 16 prop would be a good starting point according to your calculations) and is there a way for a laymen like myself to check the pitch. Thanks to all for the help.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
Regarding changing the diameter, I wouldn't recommend it. But maybe someone else here will have a different opinion with logic as to why or why not it's a good idea.

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 09:13:05 AM »
Go through this and see what it suggest...   https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#/step-one
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »
and is there a way for a laymen like myself to check the pitch. Thanks to all for the help.

Most all props have a stamped or engraved pitch labeling on them, or an embossing on the inside of the hub in some cases. You may need to remove the prop to see it though.

Are you certain the 'sticker' shows 13X26 and not 13X16, I'm really curious now to hear what size the prop is marked.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz