Bass Fishing Forums > Reels

Switching Up My Reels

<< < (2/6) > >>

Curt:

--- Quote from: frugalangler on December 05, 2016, 04:18:12 PM ---What I meant was they were not EXTERNALLY adjustable centrifugal, where BPS Carbonlite and Browning (apparently now discontinued) were actually externally adjustable (I have some of both).

--- End quote ---

Ahh.. OK. Thanks for clearing that up.  :nod:

Curt:

--- Quote from: JackJ on December 05, 2016, 04:09:52 PM ---What kind of problems were you having with the Curdaos? 

--- End quote ---

@JackJ I had an ongoing problem with every single one of my Curados that would only happen if I fished in heavy rain. If I had the reels on the deck during heavy rain, I would have the worst time with backlashes. It never happened with other reels, even under the same exact conditions. Only the Shimano reels. And it wasn't just one of them. It was ALL of them!

After they had sat and dried out they operated perfectly. And I know it wasn't user error. I have been using baitcasting reels since back in the late 80s. It's just some kind of weird behavior that they exhibited and I had finally had enough of it this season. So I sold them all.

sbg:
Did you send them to a reputable reel guy to get cleaned and tweaked on?  Ive seen the cheapo chinese knockoffs on facebook. They look like a knockoff from the DOYO reel plant in China. Thats where most of your lower end reels come from. Abu, bass pro, lews and even some of the cheaper diawa's and shimano's all come from the same place. To each their own but I wouldnt waste my money on a chinese knockoff reel. Stick with the name brands. You can get some great reels for $100 and more. But when you go below that $100 mark your quality suffers tremendously. And thats with all of the manufacturers.

frugalangler:
Hey, David, I agree if you buy the /knockoffs/ from a US source, but when imported directly you all of the middle-man profits. I buy a LOT of electronic stuff direct from overseas, same stuff you can buy off the shelf local, but at about 1/10th to 1/4th the price. I've bought a couple of different imported reels and found that if you compare to a local purchased product of equal price they beat the quality hands down. A $40 imported direct reel (if you select the proper ones, some ARE junk) is usually comparable to that $100 one you buy, so I don't care so much about boat rash or all. My only complaint is that it takes weeks not days to receive the goods, especially this time of year when customs is inundated with freight, but in the hundreds of items I've ordered I've only had 2 issues with lost goods and those were quickly replaced by the seller - they bend over backwards w/ customer service unlike US vendors.

And, btw, those $100 reels you buy come from offshore anyway, and can be bought for $20 overseas, so go figure. I've only seen a few quality reels US made, and those are no better in my opinion. Last BPS Pro Qualifier I bought was a Chinese product that I could find the exact one for $22 direct. Granted, I can't take it to the local store if it screws up, but at the price difference I keep a couple on the shelf for those occasions and still save money.

sbg:
I can see your point if your having luck with it go for it!  I guess Im a little gun shy on buying stuff from overseas from anyone. There are a couple of Japanese stores online that Ive heard that are trustworthy and will help you out. Heck if somebody was a painter they could make a killin selling baits from overseas. You can buy the exact baits, say a lucky craft Sammy in clear plastic without hooks for a couple of bucks. When the same bait the the name brand label sell for upwards of $15 or more. Crazy how prices are all over the place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version