BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 166
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Switching Up My Reels  (Read 22758 times)

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
Re: Switching Up My Reels
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »

So your initial impressions match my first impressions also. And like I said, my first on the water test was equally pleasing.

BTW, @frugalangler where did you purchase yours from? If you'd rather not post a link publicly, don't sweat it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291333470513 Here's my current choice, taking advantage of the 5% and these are actually on-shore in NY
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
Thanks! That carbon fiber reel sounds really appealing, being so light.

Your link is for a lefty. I'll be looking into a righty model, maybe soon.  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
Uh you mean you'll be looking for a wrongy Lol
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
Uh you mean you'll be looking for a wrongy Lol

And how do you figure that?  (shrug)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
from my perspective, the crank handle will be on the WRONG side
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
from my perspective, the crank handle will be on the WRONG side

That's what I figured  (yes)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 11:53:38 PM »
I finally got to log some hours with this new reel on the water this past week and this weekend.

I have to say that for the $39 I spent, I got a heck of a bargain. This reel is butter smooth and performs well. In fact, it performs every bit as well as my Curados, which cost me $189 back in the day when the 200 E7 was on the market. Seriously. It's that good.

Now, as for durability and longevity, only time will tell. But performance wise, this reel is definitely impressive.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
Spent a lot more time on the water this past week, and this reel got used a LOT. In fact, with the bladed jig bite being so hot, this reel saw probably 90% of the action.

So far it has performed flawlessly with regard to fighting fish. It has performed almost flawlessly with regard to casting.

What do I mean by almost flawlessly? Well, with 11 bearings, the spool is extremely free-spinning. So this reel requires an extra bit of tweaking in order not to backlash it. Basically what I have done is max out the magnetic brake and the internal centrifugal brakes. And then I use the spool tension  knob to make fine adjustments to compensate for conditions (casting with the wind or casting into the wind).

Doing that allows me to use it with only a couple backlashes if I forget that I am casting into high winds and forget to compensate for it.

I'm sure with a bit more use I will become more familiar with it's quirks and the backlashes will go away completely.

As far as fighting fish, I have landed at least a couple dozen bass up to 4 lbs. on it and I haven't had a single problem with it, nor do I have any complaints about how it handles these fish.  (nope)

As of right now, this is looking like a great $39 purchase  :nod:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »
I'm experiencing similar - the thing is so free that I've had to max the mag and centrifugal drags also, kinda wish there was some more there, but the spool tension is critical, once you realize to add a little more than on other reals, this thing is incredible. It will cast 2 county miles, and yes it does require a little finesse of the thumb, but once you get familiar it's great. I opted for the 'Stealth' which is very very light.

My only issue with it at this point, if you do over-spool it, and are using light line (small diameter) it has enough gap between the frame and spool that the line sometimes gets between them :(. I'll likely use it with much heavier line until I get more time on it, but for throwing a weightless senko it's incredible! Long casting a deep diver gets it out there so far I've had to spool more main line and less backing since I was getting down to the joiner knot - something I've never done with the same line/backing ratio I've used on other reels.

My next outing (not in a tournament) where I can play more I'm gonna try this on my Ned rod, I currently have a 3/4 size Diawa Alphas on it, the KK is almost the same weight but full size, so I'm thinking I may get more distance with the Ned I throw using it. So far, I'm impressed - it's just different and is taking some retraining, but that's not a bad thing.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
The fact that we're seeing similar results tells me that the quality from one reel to another is consistent, which is good  :nod:

And I agree.. I wish there was a bit more brake to be applied instead of using the spool tensioner. But if these reels last a reasonable period of time they will be a great value for sure  :thumbup:

Offline The dude

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
Its nice to see you guys take the plunge and try those out. I think most people get turned off since they know so little about them. I have a plethora of reels some expensive some that are hand me downs from my dad bought 2 years ago. Although there is nothing like the feeling of a new reel. To me it is equally enjoyable to tinker and tune up the old ones. Im glad to see you guys are having good luck with those reels. So i guess what im saying is. At either 40 bucks or 140 they all have bearings gears and a frame so im sure with care and maintainance you can have years of good service out of them.😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline The dude

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
20 years not 2 lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
UPDATE: Switching Up My Reels
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
I spent the Memorial weekend using my KastKing almost exclusively, had it mounted on a 6'6" Cherrywood by Berkley rod spooled w/ 14# mono. I was throwing a 4" Yum Dinger weightless, and it worked great. I did have both brakes on max, and the friction drag set normally where the bait would just drop if the tip was twitched, but would not drop on it's own, and it had great range and control. The fighting drag worked very well, so over all after getting some time with them, they are a keeper. I still have not tried one on my NED rod yet, hopefully this weekend, but will also try one on a Razor rods ML and a Quantum Smoke M/XF that feels more like a ML for wacky rigs based on my experience last weekend (I don't have that rod available right now, it stays at my country home).
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I have been using my KastKing almost exclusively for fishing bladed jigs, so it's gotten a good workout the last two months.

I have learned that I need to use my thumb with this reel in light of the fact that the 11 bearings make it so free-spooling on the cast, even with both brakes maxed out.

I really like it and definitely believe it's well worth the $40 I spent on it. I may consider buying more in the future when I'm in need of a new reel  :nod:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal