BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 186
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: cracked hatch cover  (Read 14946 times)

Offline tsic

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.5 LM 5.5 SM
cracked hatch cover
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »
Has anyone ever repaired a hatch cover that has a crack across it The cover on the hatch just behind the driver seat developed a crack last season and I would like to repair it for now before my partner walks on it any more The cover is still in one piece and the carpet is helping to hold it together for now. Not sure how to reinforce it Maybe someone on here has an idea

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: cracked hatch cover
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:05:07 PM »
How you fix it will depend on what material it's made of. Most are either aluminum or fiberglass.

Once these lids are cracked, they will probably never be the same. But you can try installing some aluminum angle iron in two places across the crack. This will require you drilling through the lid and having panhead screws through the lid. Screws will be on the top of the lid, with the nuts and lock washers inside.

Your best bet for a permanent fix is to get a replacement lid, if possible. But the two pieces of aluminum angle iron should hold you over for a while.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:21:24 PM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline tsic

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:35 AM »
Thanks Curt,
 That is what I had in mind, The lid is fiberglass I will probably order a new lid next year as I got new seats from Ranger and had to rebuild my lower unit this year so my budget for maintenance is used up. I will try to get one more season out of it 

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »
Thanks Curt,
 The lid is fiberglass I will probably order a new lid next year as I got new seats from Ranger and had to rebuild my lower unit this year so my budget for maintenance is used up. I will try to get one more season out of it 

Believe me. I know what it means to have a budget  ;)

Just be sure to use aluminum angle iron so it won't rust. Or, if you use steel, make sure it has a few good coats of enamel on it before you use it!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline tsic

• Guppy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »
I just found an aluminum sign which is 18x12 that I think will work. Will drill it and mount with ss pan head bolts  will let you know how it works out 

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
I just found an aluminum sign which is 18x12 that I think will work. Will drill it and mount with ss pan head bolts  will let you know how it works out 

If it's flat stock, it won't have much strength, which is why I suggested angle bar. The angle bar will give you a lot of support, whereas the flat sign stock will just flex when it has weight on it.

Here's an example from Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-36-in-Aluminum-Angle-Bar-with-1-16-in-Thick-801377/204273984

I would suggest something a bit thicker, like maybe 3/16", but the 1/8 might work fine  :nod:

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »
I would use C Channel for extra rigidity
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline tsic

• Guppy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
I went with the plate and the angle bar I probably should have just ordered the new lid from Ranger for $ 118.18 plus shipping Oh well next years project

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:29 PM »
I went with the plate and the angle bar I probably should have just ordered the new lid from Ranger for $ 118.18 plus shipping Oh well next years project

Hopefully it'll hold up for you for the season!

Offline tsic

• Guppy
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »
Time will tell Thanks guys

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »
we have a scrap yard for boats in Michigan...they have just about everything..old used and new..they strip everything down all insurance claims   just like cars.....I think its call slicks boat salvage.(they ship all over)...or something like that...give that a go...ill check with my son. he got some parts there a few year back....not sure on the name but I'm thinking maybe???     lol 

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »
we have a scrap yard for boats in Michigan...they have just about everything..old used and new..they strip everything down all insurance claims   just like cars.....I think its call slicks boat salvage.(they ship all over)...or something like that...give that a go...ill check with my son. he got some parts there a few year back....not sure on the name but I'm thinking maybe???     lol 

That's a great resource to know about!

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal