BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Tow Vehicle Payload  (Read 45123 times)

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Tow Vehicle Payload
« on: December 28, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
I'm wondering, how many of you actually pay attention to payload when buying a vehicle?

How do YOU determine or make up YOUR mind that a vehicle's ability is right for you? Do you "just know" it will handle what you are going to use it for or do you look at numbers whether it be the Payload the manufacture places on the particular vehicle or do you go by axle capacities or tire capacities? 

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Tow Vehicle Payload
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
Well payload is the amount that it can haul, not tow, so that has never been a factor for me.   I look more at the towing capacity.

My 4runner has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and my boat and trailer is close to 4000 which is too close to me.   It does fine, but I think it still stresses it out a bit, so now I am looking for a vehicle for a higher capacity just for the extra peice of mind.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »
Well payload is the amount that it can haul, not tow, so that has never been a factor for me.   I look more at the towing capacity.

My 4runner has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and my boat and trailer is close to 4000 which is too close to me.   It does fine, but I think it still stresses it out a bit, so now I am looking for a vehicle for a higher capacity just for the extra peice of mind.

Okay, lets talk about your 4Runner then. You say payload has nothing to do with towing? What is the GVWR of your 4Runner? How much does your 4Runner weigh. You have to remember that the tongue weight on your boat takes away from your payload. If your tongue weight is 10% of your boat and your boat weighs 4,000# then you are putting 400# on the 4Runner. That is using your payload.

Now, you say "400# ain't nothing" Now you need to add the cooler you have in the back and all the other stuff that didn't come with the 4Runner when it rolled of the assembly line. What about your buddy that weighs 250#. The stuff that he brought with him? Have you added anything to the 4Runner like running boards, vent visors, bug shields etc? What about the tires? are they original? If not, do they weigh the same as the OE tires? All this adds up.

What year is your 4 Runner?

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »

Something else you should know is that payload actually reduces the "towing capacity". Your towing capacity is 5,000# with the base version of your model. If you have a loaded out version of the model then the weight of all the options that were added by the manufacture comes off the "towing capacity" Make sense?

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:14:13 PM »
yes I agree with all of that, but I never carry anything other than my fat self and my even larger partner.   I guess if you are carrying a lot in the vehicle it is for sure something to think about.

The payload is 1300 on the 4runner, and my tounge weight is about 500 lbs.  So I am looking at about 1000 of payload, so I am actually closer than I would have thought.
I did add airbags to the back rear springs to help keep it level.  Not sure if that increased any payload or not.

And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload and towing capacity.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:15:55 PM by JackJ »
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
yes I agree with all of that, but I never carry anything other than my fat self and my even larger partner.   I guess if you are carrying a lot in the vehicle it is for sure something to think about.

The payload is 1300 on the 4runner, and my tounge weight is about 500 lbs.  So I am looking at about 1000 of payload, so I am actually closer than I would have thought.
I did add airbags to the back rear springs to help keep it level.  Not sure if that increased any payload or not.

And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload and towing capacity.

Actually adding the air bags took away from your payload. I know the bags and hardware to mount then are not very heavy but you wold be surprised at how close you are. The only true way to tell your available payload is to go to a scale and actually weigh the 4Runner. do you not have you insurance info in the car? CDs? Maybe ice scraper. How much dirt is in, on , under the car? All that is payload.

You say that you added air bags to help level the truck. Lets talk about that for a moment. Most SUV's that I have seen the GAWR's added together added together are pretty close to the GVWR of the SUV. If you are that close to your GVWR and add the trailer tongue weight into the equation, how close are you to being overloaded on your rear axle?

Think about this....

Let's say your 4runner's rear overhang is 3' (distance from center of rear axle to the center of the ball your boat rides on) . Now we'll say that your wheel base is 10' (center of front wheel to center of back wheel). We know that your tongue weight is 500#. 500# being your force.  Force X Overhang / wheel base will give you how much weight you are removing from your front axle and adding to your rear axle when you put 500# of force on the trailer ball. 500 X 3 / 10 = 150#. So you 500# tongue weight is actually putting 650# on your rear axle.  ;)

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
Yep for sure something to think about, and will help me convince my wife I need a new tow vehicle  ;D
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »

Let's use a Sequoia for an example. You said "And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload" . I will use a 2017 4Runner against a 2017 Sequoia.

Sequoia 4wd SR5 with 5.7 V8 has a GVWR 7300#. The Base curb weight with no added options is 5985#. That gives the larger you would think more capable Sequoia a payload of 1315# before adding anything.

4Runner TRD with 4.0 V6 has a GVWR of 6300#. The base curb weight with no added options is 4750#. That gives the smaller 4Runner a payload of 1550#.

Which is more capable now? You've already said that you figure that you add 1000 pounds to your 4Runner. That would leave you with 315# left on a Sequoia that is a base with no options.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
Yep for sure something to think about, and will help me convince my wife I need a new tow vehicle  ;D

Let's do something that's a little wild. Obviously you are a Toyota man so let's look at the almighty Space Shuttle towing Tundra. I mean that thing can tow the Space Shuttle it can surely handle a load right? Lets compare.......

2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 5.7 V8.

GVWR is 7200#. Base curb weight before adding any options is 5640#. That leaves you with a whopping 1550# of payload. Now, we have just bought us a truck so we want to make it look like a truck so we want to add a 200# grill guard to the front, maybe a 100# winch on that. Can't forget the big 10# light bars on the front and rear of the cab. Got to have a tool box right? I mean it is a truck. How much weight will that tool box hold?

Looking at the numbers, maybe you should stay with a 4Runner?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:08:59 PM by transamz9 »

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
Hmm that is interesting.  I guess I need to find a new partner or have him lose weight.  (shrug)

The light weight of my 4runner is my biggest problem and I have towed with heavier SUV's and it makes a world of difference to me, and I feel a lot better about the 10000 towing capacity over the 5000 I have now..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:24:27 PM by JackJ »
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »
What gets me about vehicle manufactures and their numbers game is that very seldom does anything add up. Which scenario seems safer to you. A Toyota 4Runner pulling a trailer that weighs 4000# with a tongue weight of 500# or a Tundra pulling a trailer that weighs 10,000# with a tongue weight of 500#. Have you ever pulled a trailer that was not balanced? Can be very hard to handle.

You claim that the heavier vehicle handles the trailer the best? Let me give you another example of "towing capacity" because that's what you see that matters.

2017 Ram 3500 DRW Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4:

Three identical trucks in every way except one. Weight, size ,engine, transmission,brakes, axle capacities. Everything the same except axle gear ratio.

3.42:1 has a max trailer towing capacity of 20,520#
3.73:1 has a max trailer towing capacity of 25,020# (+5,500 more than truck above)
4.10:1 has a max trailer towing capacity of 30,320# (+9,800 more than the first truck)

9,800# all by just getting a different gear ratio. All three trucks are identical weight capacities.

Let me throw in a little kicker.....

Same truck as above but instead of crew cab it's just a regular cab. The max trailer capacity is 30,830#. That's 510# more than the heavier truck. The regular cab truck is 514# lighter than the less capable Crew Cab truck. So much for heavier being better for towing. (giggle)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »
Guys just get yourselves a Chevy 2500 6L Vortex and you won't need to bother your minds with non fishing trivia.  You can load the boat and truck with no worries except paying for the gas. (shrug)
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 07:22:21 AM »
Guys just get yourselves a Chevy 2500 6L Vortex and you won't need to bother your minds with non fishing trivia.  You can load the boat and truck with no worries except paying for the gas. (shrug)

Really? Do you think your Big Chevy 2500 could handle the way I pull my boat? This is the way my boat gets 90% of the miles put on it.......

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 08:15:06 AM »
Yes he does..... and I'm affeared to keep up.  (whew)

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Yes he does..... and I'm affeared to keep up.  (whew)

Now Nitey, I don't tow fast. I'm a safe driver. It was pouring down rain that day you were behind me. Nashville sucked. (whew)

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal